Close

Thread: Glue Stick ++

Add Marm on Thingiverse

Glue Stick ++

(Authors note: Do not use elmer's spray adhesive. I gave it a go once. Seemed like a good idea, but a) it's not sticky enough when heated, b) when ABS is laid on top of it, there seems to be an out gassing that causes the bottom layer to bubble and c) It's a pain to get off. Just a PSA)

I'm a die hard Glue sticker. Tried a couple other techniques, but meh, I like my glue stick. But Glue sticks can be clumpy, especially if you're like me and just throw down another layer over the old. Every now and then I'll wipe a damp towel over it, working the glue around and 'refreshing' the layer. Eventually it'll get too thick and clumpy, and I'll wipe it off wet, or scrape it off dry (I prefer wet).

Had a dozen or so 4" foam brushes laying around, figured I'd give one a try. Splashed a little water on the bed and moistened the brush. A little work to loosen up the clumps, and I had a thin paste evenly spread over the bed.

Excellent results so far. The thin layer is allowing for smoother bottom layers, no clumps to speak of, and it seems to be as sticky as fresh glue. I think this may be my application technique from now on. Spread some glue around, then even it out with a moist brush.

Now to design and print a brush holder to keep the sticky brush from touching the detritus that litters the bottom of the printer. A little water on the brush will loosen it right up when it dries.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    just heat the bed and run the gluestick over while it's hot. Evens everything out and dries quicker so you can stick another layer on.

Every now and then I peel it off and start again. And by that time it's pretty thick and just peels off in one sheet.

never needed to wet anything :-)

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    My printer doesn't allow preheating in an accessible position. I have to run a print, let the bed get hot, and then cancel the job, only then the bed will lower back down to accessible spot. But yes, for initial application, that's how I try to do it, but for subsequent prints, this has been a fine way of reusing the glue on the bed.

I'm going to run some tests soon and see if I can dissolve a couple sticks in a jar of water and have a spreadable slurry to apply.