Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Yes you can build your own enclosure. Lots of people do it that way. The pre-enclosed printers have the advantage that the enclosed space is a bit 'tighter', making it easier to heat. Other than that it all good.
    I've just found out about the PETG filament, which looks AMAZING. Higher strength than ABS, and not nearly as sensitive. I've decided to purchase the Robo R1 as well.
    Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Great, Let us know how you make out!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    abs is cheap, and if you can print it properly - like sebastien - and put up with the smell and tolerate acetone, it's still good stuff.

But given the huge range of 3d printing filaments, that's growing all the time - unless you're printing a lot and cost is a major determining factor. I've found Pretty much everything else is better.

As afr as I know abs and cheap nylon (and the expensive taulman stuff) are the ONLY common filaments that require an enclosure. Everything else has been designed for 3d printing and won't warp - hell there's even a non-warping nylon available. Amazing stuff - pricey, but amazing.
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...DOES-NOT-WARP-!!!

Sp yep the robo looks pretty decent and good build volume.
    In an enclosed printer both the hotbed and the nozzle give off heat - I think it has to be around 50-60c So shouldn't need any extra heating.

I print ABS without an enclosure all the time make beautiful stuff on a 12"X12"X12" build area.
    ABS 220C, Bed 90C, Boro. Glass with Hair Spray.
    My printer is home built but basically a Cartesian style setup.
    So I'm gonna chime in and add if your printer is dialed in right you can print without an enclosure.

Student
    You can pick up a referbed flashforge creator pro for $800 on flashforge usa's website. I have a couple and love them, but, if you want a larger print area, you may want to look at a delta xl or build your own. I think a heated bed is kinda needed for abs, enclosure? My prints improved with an enclosed printer but we keep our house cold. Hair spray is a must.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yes you CAN print abs without an enclosure. But it's much much easier with one :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12