Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New CTC Owner

Technician

New CTC Owner

Hi there, just recently bought a CTC 3D printer.

Which mods would you recommend to improve quality of prints?

So far I am thinking about:
    Y axis brackets
    brass bushings for all axes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigo93 View Post
    Hi there, just recently bought a CTC 3D printer.

Which mods would you recommend to improve quality of prints?

So far I am thinking about:
    Y axis brackets
    brass bushings for all axes

Thanks
    Which Model do you have ?
    If it's the Bizer then the first thing you need is a bracket to keep wires from bending and breaking at top of extruder assembly.
    I'm not sure if other models need that also but probably Do.
    (All wires need to be clamped into this part with tie-wraps or twist-ties)
    The filament-Guides fit into this part also, better than original part.
    It can be downloaded from thingiverse.com and printed:

Click picture for larger view of part:
    ExtruderGuide_Clamp.jpg
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 12-19-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Technician
    Yes it's the black bizer I model: http://www.ctcprinter.com/product_detail.php?ProId=23

The seller I bought from didnt send the filament tubes, claiming we dont need them. But if we do I can get some from hardware store I guess.

Yes it's the black bizer I model: http://www.ctcprinter.com/product_detail.php?ProId=23

The seller I bought from didnt send the filament tubes, claiming we dont need them. But if we do I can get some from hardware store I guess.
    Yes, those Tubes Are Needed, to keep filament going Straight down into extruder.
    Filament can get bent and not feed properly without it.

The next thing you will Want is a glass-plate to go on bed-plate.
    (see other threads in this forum for info about that and other Mods I have done to our Bizer)

Technician
    K, so for the glass build plate is it simply removing the painters tape, and removing the kapton tape and clamping a sheet of glass on the aluminum bed with some binder clips?
    Or would you leave the kapton tape on?

Also which forum sections should I look through, so far I've only looked through this ctc one as I have a ctc printer.
    Like is there a general mod section with a sticky with recommended mods?

K, so for the glass build plate is it simply removing the painters tape, and removing the kapton tape and clamping a sheet of glass on the aluminum bed with some binder clips?
    Or would you leave the kapton tape on?

Also which forum sections should I look through, so far I've only looked through this ctc one as I have a ctc printer.
    Like is there a general mod section with a sticky with recommended mods?
    Yes, clamp the glass directly on to the Aluminum plate, remove all tape for better Heat transfer.
    I lightly sanded the aluminum to make it look better, since it had scratches from removing the kapton.
    I used Aqua-net spray to hold glass in place and used Clips only until the Aqua-net dried.
    (Sanding plate makes it stick better also)
    (using hair-spray allows it to be removed fairly easy, if needed, without breaking glass)
    (took several days for it to dry completely, then removed clips)
    (nozzles can hit Clips if not positioned correctly, so be careful and remove them as soon as possible)

One Mod I did was printing 4 extension brackets for corners of bed-plate
    so I could install a larger piece of glass to increase bed size 11 1/8" X 6 7/8" , to print larger objects.
    link here:
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ender-brackets

If you do this mod before having the glass cut, you will only need the larger size cut
    (I had 3/32" thick glass cut at Lowes-hardware)
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 12-20-2015 at 08:39 AM.

This thread also has info on a Needed mod to Mobo-Fan:
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...nt-Fan-at-Mobo-!

Note: that thread talks about a common Set-screw problem also
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 12-20-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Technician
    Thanks for the info, will take me a bit before I can do the mods though.

Also any thoughts on print cooling ducts such as http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:191297

Are they helpful at all? I thought keeping the print warmer for longer was better, but then this cools it faster.
    So what's the point of these and adding insulating sides on your printer? the two seem to contradict each other.

And when finished with the printer, is it ok to leave the filament in the extruders, or should I remove them when printer is not in use?
    Last edited by bigo93; 12-20-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks for the info, will take me a bit before I can do the mods though.

Also any thoughts on print cooling ducts such as http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:191297

Are they helpful at all? I thought keeping the print warmer for longer was better, but then this cools it faster.
    So what's the point of these and adding insulating sides on your printer? the two seem to contradict each other.

And when finished with the printer, is it ok to leave the filament in the extruders, or should I remove them when printer is not in use?

No, those fan ducts and extra fans at nozzles really 'Get In the Way' when working on extruders.
    No need for them !
    Control nozzle Temp with Slicer-software settings.
    I have a 6" 110v fan that cools the X & Y stepper-motors, when they get hot,
    that Also moves enough air at nozzles to do the Same thing, if needed.

There is No need to enclose the printer with covers, panels or doors.
    Good airflow is needed for proper cooling of printer parts and the printed objects.

I've had no problems leaving filament in extruders.
    I cover the printer and filament in it, with a plastic-sheet, when printer is Not in use,
    to keep out any possible moisture and dust.
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 12-20-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Technician
    I've tried to print the bed supports with ABS, I assume PLA wont be good to use seeing as these will be right next to the heated bed and could melt if PLA right?

Having some issues with it sticking to the masking tape, couldnt find painters tape.
    Even used some generic glue on the masking tape, still comes off s little.

As you can see in pic, this print failed at 80% due to glitch in SD card. But the circular hole isnt perfect, it's more of an oval.

Any ideas why? Is a track loose and need tightening?

20151225_150319.jpg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast