Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    You are going to be confusing this guy. This needs sorting with it unplugged.

Current cannot flow without voltage and under normal conditions you need at least 50 volts for it to flow through a human. The most important thing regarding mortality rate is the path the current flow takes not the current. 2 ma through the heart will easily stop it dead but finger to finger on the same hand 3kv will be little more than a tingle and around 2ma will flow .

Death from electrocution is almost always where the current path goes through the heart. If you die from a non-through the heart shock then it is a terrible death that doesn't happen for days after the accident. Death occurs because the muscles are cooked and you will wake up feeling fine, over a few days your body begins to ache and you become unable to move. Fairly quickly after that you will die because your blood has congealed.

This is why they teach you to keep one hand in your pocket when messing with live cables. It is very unliklely that current will pass through the heart if you do not have the voltage across your chest.
    1) You are probably correct on me confusing the guy..

2) Thanks for the detail, I do understand the reasons for mortality as it relates to death by electrocution and is the reason why I said "The body type, and area of body being effected.." However you are simply wrong when you make statements like "you need at least 50 volts for it to flow through a human". Forget all the safety training I've had that says otherwise, I have felt it first hand. All it took was a knee on damp concrete and my hand bumping a 12vac relay signal (high voltage was off, but control circuits were still powered) to get my attention REAL fast.

Senior Engineer
    If you are going to quote me please quote me correctly.

The statement "you need at least 50 volts for it to flow through a human" is not complete. Please learn to read and reply in a sensible manner if oyu are going to bother replying at all.

I am not trying to educate you I am trying to help the guy with the problem. It seems to me that you cannot be educated as you seem to think you know everything.

Here is my reason for knowing what I am talking about. I have a first class honour degree in electronics. I have a Phd in electronics specifically in the area of electricity distribution networks. I have worked for 25 years in the electricity utility field.

Now I have finished with this thread, I will not post again. You obviously know everything so you fix it but I would appreciate it if you did not kill the guy.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    If you are going to quote me please quote me correctly.

The statement "you need at least 50 volts for it to flow through a human" is not complete. Please learn to read and reply in a sensible manner if oyu are going to bother replying at all.

I am not trying to educate you I am trying to help the guy with the problem. It seems to me that you cannot be educated as you seem to think you know everything.

Here is my reason for knowing what I am talking about. I have a first class honour degree in electronics. I have a Phd in electronics specifically in the area of electricity distribution networks. I have worked for 25 years in the electricity utility field.

Now I have finished with this thread, I will not post again. You obviously know everything so you fix it but I would appreciate it if you did not kill the guy.

Why so defensive? I wasn't challenging your intelligence, but hey if it makes you feel better to attack others in an internet conversation because people don't agree, well..... As for "...I would appreciate it if you did not kill the guy." you do realize that he built from kit right?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    IN situations like this I give my mate acall - he's an industrial electrician and he'll fix it.

So if you don't know what you are doing - find someone who does and let them get electrocuted instead of you :-)

Here's one for you LOL

spinal_tap_amps.jpg

another...

engineer_syllogism.jpg

Another... I have a feeling, this is Mjolinor feelings toward us (me specifically)... (It's a joke Mjolinor, I'm just kidding......)

main-qimg-078d16509bf1ce60db42bc6df0fdfc0f.jpg
    Last edited by ServiceXp; 12-19-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Just a thought here, I'm not an electrician or EE but have maintained a house for 40 years...

Try plugging your printer into a different circuit than you are currently using (i.e. one in a completely different part of the house not on the same breaker). You may have a hot and neutral or neutral and ground crossed somewhere in the circuit. I had a similar problem once- a slight but definite tingle while touching a light fixture housing during a bulb change. Took me a long time to find the culprit, but a neutral had worn off insulation in a bathroom exhaust fan due to vibration and was touching the metal housing.

Could be something as simple as changing the circuit you are using could fix the problem with your printer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234