Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
You are going to be confusing this guy. This needs sorting with it unplugged.

Current cannot flow without voltage and under normal conditions you need at least 50 volts for it to flow through a human. The most important thing regarding mortality rate is the path the current flow takes not the current. 2 ma through the heart will easily stop it dead but finger to finger on the same hand 3kv will be little more than a tingle and around 2ma will flow .

Death from electrocution is almost always where the current path goes through the heart. If you die from a non-through the heart shock then it is a terrible death that doesn't happen for days after the accident. Death occurs because the muscles are cooked and you will wake up feeling fine, over a few days your body begins to ache and you become unable to move. Fairly quickly after that you will die because your blood has congealed.

This is why they teach you to keep one hand in your pocket when messing with live cables. It is very unliklely that current will pass through the heart if you do not have the voltage across your chest.
1) You are probably correct on me confusing the guy..

2) Thanks for the detail, I do understand the reasons for mortality as it relates to death by electrocution and is the reason why I said "The body type, and area of body being effected.." However you are simply wrong when you make statements like "you need at least 50 volts for it to flow through a human". Forget all the safety training I've had that says otherwise, I have felt it first hand. All it took was a knee on damp concrete and my hand bumping a 12vac relay signal (high voltage was off, but control circuits were still powered) to get my attention REAL fast.