Close

3D Printer Advice - New Buyer - Tech Savy - Semi Limited Budget

Hello All,

I have read so many reviews and guides and watched videos and I am still having trouble deciding a model 3d printer to buy so I wanted to ask a community. I am a very tech savvy individual who is looking for a printer for general use DIY, small repair parts, electronic project housings, small usable gears, etc. I do not have one use so I am looking to get a 3d Printer that can fulfill as many of my possible uses as I can for my budget. Since I am a new 3d printer use I started looking at the cheaper models to get my feet wet like the recent $300 deal for a Monoprice Maker Architect 3D Printer, but even though the price was great in my opinion I have still been looking as even though I would much prefer to spend in the $300-$500 (Maker, Printrbot Simple, recommended better one) range to get a unit as my first printer to tinker with I know I could spend $800-$1200 range if I knew it was worth it for my use.

Basically I think the main thing I am not getting from online reviews and guides has been is will a $800-1200 printer (Printrbot Plus, Rostock MAX, FlashForge, your recommended model) be extremely better and truly worth my money for my non specific home shop/diy type of use?

Also what models in the price ranges would you guys recommend I look into? Are the ones I mentioned good or have I been thrown off my online marketing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, as all help is appreciated!

Buying a smaller printer only means you need to assemble more parts for a big project. It all depends on the actual size of things you want to make.

A bigger plate also means you can put several models on, push print and forget about it for a time : less micro management.

Overall I am very happy with my Printrbot Metal Plus. The service is excellent and they frequently develop upgrades. The design is simple and sensible, easy to maintain and troubleshoot. But mainly, it just works. Based on that, I would also approve the Printrbot simple.

Flashforge seems to be a robust company too, they have many supporters here.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Buying a smaller printer only means you need to assemble more parts for a big project. It all depends on the actual size of things you want to make.

A bigger plate also means you can put several models on, push print and forget about it for a time : less micro management.

Overall I am very happy with my Printrbot Metal Plus. The service is excellent and they frequently develop upgrades. The design is simple and sensible, easy to maintain and troubleshoot. But mainly, it just works. Based on that, I would also approve the Printrbot simple.

Flashforge seems to be a robust company too, they have many supporters here.

Thanks for the reply! Based on that I am leaning to think that its more about printed material size and a bit less about quality & strength of object when comparing some of these $500 range units to the $1000 range units. Is that a fair statement?

I have a Flashforge Creator X and get amazing results. But you'll get amazing results with just about any printer provided you get to grips with how it works. You say you're tech-savvy? Good, then use common sense when purchasing. Consider availability of parts, a sturdy frame, that sort of thing.

FWIW its worth when I buy a second one it will be a Printrbot Metal Plus or a Lulzbot, mainly due to the larger build area and to move away from x3g.

Quote Originally Posted by protechtrader View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Based on that I am leaning to think that its more about printed material size and a bit less about quality & strength of object when comparing some of these $500 range units to the $1000 range units. Is that a fair statement?
    Most of the FDM printers from the established brands (lulzbot, flashforge, printrbot ...) seem to have reached a certain level of quality. It doesn't mean it will print well whatever you throw at it. It means you get a more than reasonable chance to do nice stuff once you do your homework and learn the ropes. Their machines all work on the same principles and re-use common components.

So YES, the quality is probably comparable for those brands whether you buy small, medium or big printers.

Printrbot publishes a lot of stuff to help you understand the machine (mind you, I think lulzbot does the same) you can find it here for instance : http://help.printrbot.com/Guide/Asse...29/179?lang=en

As you can see, all metal and a lot of standard components that can be sourced from them or anywhere online. Sturdy and maintainable, just how I like it.

Nobody I know complained about big print volume, but as you can see everywhere there are kits to upgrade small build volumes. If you can afford it, don't start too small.