I had the idea that laminating film (the kind used to protect documents) could be used as a print bed surface, I checked online and saw that one guy had already thought of it, tried and got good results.

I went ahead and bought a pack at a stationery shop, I think it was less than 10USD equivalent for a pack of 25, and since they come as a two layer pouch that yields 50 sheets, so that's cheap.
I use an aluminium print bed and applying the film to it took a couple tries with a clothes iron, the second attempt came out pretty good with only a few bubbles but in any case it was much easier than applying Kapton tape. Next time though I will try to simply heat up the printing bed in the printer itself and letting the film conform to the surface by itself, to see how it goes.

I have only tried printing ABS on it so far, but the results are excellent, adhesion is really good, I tried first with my usual method of dabbing some UHU glue stick on the surface, then spreading it around with a wet tissue but that seemed a bit too strong, I had trouble removing even small footprint parts; now I'm trying without any glue on the surface and it seems to hold the parts firmly.
Compared to Kapton this stuff is much more durable and less prone to delaminate so it should last a lot longer.

Cheap, easy to apply, great properties for printing, this is The Stuff. Give it a try and see for yourself.