Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

Laminating film as a printing surface.

I had the idea that laminating film (the kind used to protect documents) could be used as a print bed surface, I checked online and saw that one guy had already thought of it, tried and got good results.

I went ahead and bought a pack at a stationery shop, I think it was less than 10USD equivalent for a pack of 25, and since they come as a two layer pouch that yields 50 sheets, so that's cheap.
    I use an aluminium print bed and applying the film to it took a couple tries with a clothes iron, the second attempt came out pretty good with only a few bubbles but in any case it was much easier than applying Kapton tape. Next time though I will try to simply heat up the printing bed in the printer itself and letting the film conform to the surface by itself, to see how it goes.

I have only tried printing ABS on it so far, but the results are excellent, adhesion is really good, I tried first with my usual method of dabbing some UHU glue stick on the surface, then spreading it around with a wet tissue but that seemed a bit too strong, I had trouble removing even small footprint parts; now I'm trying without any glue on the surface and it seems to hold the parts firmly.
    Compared to Kapton this stuff is much more durable and less prone to delaminate so it should last a lot longer.

Cheap, easy to apply, great properties for printing, this is The Stuff. Give it a try and see for yourself.

Thanks for the tip!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hmm, just opened the last box of pouches from the load I bought 20 odd years ago - so got plenty of them.

Might have to give it a go - cheers :-)

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Sounds promising, thanks for sharing.

Engineer
    just get PEI for your bed

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Oh! This sounds interesting. Haven't heard anything like it. Will definitely try this one in my next print. Thanks for sharing!

Technician
    Time to raid the supply closet...

Engineer-in-Training
    An update, after eight or so prints the film is unsticking in areas were prints pulled hard on it, I'm sure that is because there were bubbles under the film when I applied it in the first place.

I'll peel it off and try again to find how to get lay it down better, I think I'll try to do it by heating the print bed rather than using an iron.

Engineer-in-Training
    Another update, I peeled the film off the aluminium bed, it has to be done with a hot bed or else it just tears.
    The I found is that the glue was left on the metal and removing it wasn't easy, I had go at it with a scotch brite sponge, acetone seemed to soften it somewhat but not enough.

I think I'll rather do tests on how to best apply the film on small sheets of aluminium rather than a full print bed.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    just get PEI for your bed
    currently use that. Though I actually print on pva. Usually gt it to about a mm thivkness before I have to peel it off and discover that the tape below is actually in good nick :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast