Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prints are sticking to well?

Hi all, first post but I have been lurking a while. I finally broke down and got a Creator Pro and all has gone pretty well until recently. My test print was a total success but then I had a few prints where one corner of the raft would lift from the build plate. I re-leveled/trammed the build plate with both the provided card and a standard piece of paper. I also wiped down the 3M blue build plate pad with acetone. This seemed to work fine as the ABS prints all adhered to the build plate and prints came out really nice. Progressively the prints are becoming harder and harder to remove from the build plate to the point where I am destroying prints by removing them from the build plate. So I guess my question is, did I mess up the blue build plate pad by using acetone on it? I think it is similar to buildtak but I know enough to be dangerous!
    Thanks

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you need to recalibrate :-)
    basically the hotend is getting steadily closer to the build plate.

Abs is a real basatrd to works with (unless you're sebastien :-) )
    You have to get your calibration bang on and do it regularly.

Many many reasons to use pla instead. I calibrate approx every couple months or when I need to replace the tape. Good Pla doesn't warp, so you can get away with a lot of stuff you can't get away with for abs.
    Performance wise Ive always found pla tougher, stronger and harder than abs. It probably depends what you are making, how you design it and what orientation you print it in.

But your current issue is calibration based :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NinerRider View Post
    Progressively the prints are becoming harder and harder to remove from the build plate to the point where I am destroying prints by removing them from the build plate.
    Thanks
    1. get a glass plate to attach to bed-plate
    2. use Aqua-net spray for adhesive, both below and above glass-plate
    3. use PLA filament

Okay well I replaced the polycarbonate build pad and that helped a little not much though. Dropped the build plate temp to 95C and ABS temp to 220C, I am trying out some Hatchbox ABS that I got, the ABS that came with the FFPro was't as problematic as the Hatchbox. I have leveled that bed a bunch, it is a slight bit warped or bowed in the middle. I appreciate the help and I may eventually move to a glass plate if PLA gives me as much problem as this ABS has.

So I removed the blue 3M covering that came on my new FFCP (it was cracking) then cleaned the surface. I added a layer of blue painters tape being careful to not overlap anything. I then re-leaved the bed using a sheet of printer paper. I adjusted the height until just before the paper started raising in the center as I slid it forward under the extruders. Before I start printing I take a purple glues stick and make a thin layer on the area I'm going to print. Most all of my ABS prints stick just fine now. I've had a rare few not stick but it's mainly because I got lazy and didn't clean the residue from previous glue layers.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleSeven View Post
    1. get a glass plate to attach to bed-plate
    2. use Aqua-net spray for adhesive, both below and above glass-plate
    3. use PLA filament
    I tried Aqua-net on glass for ABS... stuck so hard it ripped shards of glass of the plate.

Now I use PET tape on glass with a LIGHT coating of abs juice. Sticks really well, but I can get it off.

Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    I tried Aqua-net on glass for ABS... stuck so hard it ripped shards of glass of the plate.
    What are you Doing Wrong ???
    We've had No problems with Aqua-net spray !
    It has perfect amount of adhesion,
    with just a thin coat and we wash glass after each print !

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post

Now I use PET tape on glass with a LIGHT coating of abs juice. Sticks really well, but I can get it off.
    Holy cow are you kidding? I've been using Aqua-net on glass for at least 6 months have never ever had that happen.. If you let it cool down, most of the time the print just falls off the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    unless you're sebastien :-)
    Sebastian

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    I just installed this setup in my FF Dreamer: http://www.geckotek3d.com/ No sticking problems at all now Plus I get a properly heated bed now that I'm not using glass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast