Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Post Printer keeps pausing - also carries on moving again after cancel

Encountering some really weird behaviour and I am unsure if its as I have recently changed both these since I last printed anything
    A) Upgrading to Windows 10
    B) Upgrading Simplify to 3.0.1

During start of print, first attempt (Using S3D) always results in the message "This machine doesn't support binary X3G". Press print again and it starts as normal

Skirt and raft prints fine and dandy.
    3 or 4 layers go fine, then the printer will just pause like it is getting no comms for a bit, but continues to extrude, then move a bit and stops for a while again - just a bit of the same layer, say 2 to 3 seconds between pauses. Then it just goes randomly extruding and making diagonal lines
    When I cancel the print the printer returns to home positions, onboard LCD is showing no active process and then it will just start printing again while up at the home axis - moving around as if it is printing the same object (based on how it is moving).
    It will continue to go until the "buffer" apparently is empty, even removing the USB causes it to continue for a while.

I can't work out what is causing it, its like there is some comms issue taking place during the print.
    Slice preview doesn't appear to be a problem - have seen that before when a slicing goes a bit "funky".

Just trying swapping USB ports and cables over see if that helps at all and changing to a model that I have previously printed without issues that I know is right.

Technician
    Not alone it appears:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O7kFbVhIJk

Was picked up in the preview releases and has carried on to the live. Nice work MS.
    Moving to SD card printing instead for the time being...

You should be printing from SD card in the first place. USB is asking for trouble.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    You should be printing from SD card in the first place. USB is asking for trouble.
    Up to now it has never been an issue on anything. I can imagine for low powered PCs/Laptops it could be due to hanging or crashing (given its "streaming" nature)
    I have been printing trouble free for around 9 months solely using USB.

Saying that though, there is some benefit in just letting the printer get on with it.

There's a lot more to this than that. I, however, am not the one to explain it. You should head over to the Flashforge google groups and search the topic there.

Bottom line: do not print over USB. It may work, it may not, you really have no guarantee. You shouldn't leave the USB cable plugged in either. But the experts there can explain why.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    There's a lot more to this than that. I, however, am not the one to explain it. You should head over to the Flashforge google groups and search the topic there.

Bottom line: do not print over USB. It may work, it may not, you really have no guarantee. You shouldn't leave the USB cable plugged in either. But the experts there can explain why.
    Cheers Sebastian, will have an investigate. Like said not encountered any issues personally so far but always open to more expert opinions.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    WHY oh WHY oh WHY ????????
    Did you assault your computer with windows 10 ?

There's your problem.

If any of you out there have a computer that works - LEAVE THE OPERATING SYSTEM ALONE !!!
    lol
    If microsoft said throwing your computer off a cliff would make it go faster - would you do it ?
    I'm sure some people said yes - but for those who said no. Don't put the latest bug ridden, beta release of a completely unproven operating system on your computer.
    Give it acouple of years for the hardware manufacturers to sort out all the crap microsoft always include. And then, if you feel you absolutely have to have windows 10 (11 & 12 should be out by then and causing even more problems) cross your fingers and load it.

Me I'll be hanging on to window 7 as long as possible. It works, doesn't have stupid sliding tiles and everyon knows how to write code for it.

So yeah that's your main problem. That and it sounds like you need to change your printer profile. if it doesn't think it's a makerbot clone, probably why you get the x3g message - you've most likely got the wrong profile.

The only time I get weird little pauses - is actually from printing off the sd card.

I'm currently sticking to s3d 3.00 - finally got it working really well. Can't see anything in the latest update that I need. So again - don't upgrade software just because some numpty tells you to.
    If it works leave it alone until you actually need the upgrade.

CA, while I agree with your assessment of Microsoft and Windows 7 this really isn't a Windows bug. Guys like Daniel Newman, Ryan Carlisle and Jetguy (and others) at the Flashforge Google Group are the experts in this field. I believe Daniel wrote the Sailfish firmware (I speak under correction). They will tell you exactly why it doesn't work.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    okay - he upgrades windows and s3d and it stops working properly. It's not a firmware issue :-)
    Cause and effect.

Why look for a complicated solution to what is apparently a simple problem ?
    I trouble shoot pc's and hardware for a living. And 9 times out of ten a new problem is due to some idiot upgrading a program that worked perfectly.

And when i ask them why they upgraded they usually say: ' because it said i should'.
    At which point I usually end up banging my head against the wall.

If it's not broke - don't fix it !

Normally I'd agree with you except the USB/print failure is a known issue and it strongly recommended to print via SD card. I started off using the USB cable. 9 prints worked, the 10th failed. The two worked, one failed, then three failed in a row and so on and so on. Its a shot in the dark. Again, I'm no expert and I don't have the terminology to explain this in detail. Switching to SD card sorted everything out.

Hear what I'm saying: printing via USB is bad regardless of your OS. Not saying W10 doesn't have its own quirks. Just that you can still slice and print using W10 and an SD card.

Also, S3D is very buggy. Buggy software on a new (possibly untested) OS along with the USB issues is almost a guaranteed failure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast