Close

Thread: MendelMax 3?

MendelMax 3?

After countless research I think I have decided to go with the MendelMax 3. I figured the only way to really compare printers was to look at the components and build and how consistent and durable the printer is because getting the perfect part seems to be possible with a lot of the printers in this category...... if you tinker enough. Having a good community and following was also considered but not as much. I figured with a lot of the components being universal and open source there would be a lot of commonalities from one printer to another....all except the build quality......

To me, in the $1000 - $3000 range the MM3 seems to have advantages over all the other REPRAP/Mendal Designs, the MakerGear M2 or Taz 5. So...TAZ 6 > TAZ 5 but I am buying now. M2 seems to be the one to get based on the community and track record but no new designs in a while and I still think the build quality is better on the MM3.

So am I missing something? Is the build quality/design and are the components just as good if not better on the MM3 then the rest of the printers I stated?

Engineer-in-Training
    Thomas Sanlander did a review on the MM3 a while back, and he was very impressed as well, and was particularly impressed with the quality of the printer. You can find his review on YouTube.

Personally, it's a toss up between this and a Taz 5. On one hand, I prefer the Taz 5 simply for the praise it's gotten in the press lately, and Aleph Object's desire to continue to keep everything they do open source and libre. On the other hand, as much as the prints prove me wrong (and having built and designed printed printers myself) I just can't shake the negative notion of the printed components on the Taz 5. My mind keeps saying, for that cost, I'd like to see more metal components.

The MM3 has an amazing structure, the use of Openbuilds V-slot, especially the massive 20x60 profile on the X axis screams stability. I believe the deflection rate on that length of 20x60 is practically non-existent, far less than that of the standard 8-12mm linear rod typically used.

There's small things like the lack of a print cooler, or the lack of an LCD screen, cable carriers without buying an upgrade that turn me off on the MM3, but overall, both machines are great choices

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadRyan View Post
    Thomas Sanlander did a review on the MM3 a while back, and he was very impressed as well, and was particularly impressed with the quality of the printer. You can find his review on YouTube.

Personally, it's a toss up between this and a Taz 5. On one hand, I prefer the Taz 5 simply for the praise it's gotten in the press lately, and Aleph Object's desire to continue to keep everything they do open source and libre. On the other hand, as much as the prints prove me wrong (and having built and designed printed printers myself) I just can't shake the negative notion of the printed components on the Taz 5. My mind keeps saying, for that cost, I'd like to see more metal components.

The MM3 has an amazing structure, the use of Openbuilds V-slot, especially the massive 20x60 profile on the X axis screams stability. I believe the deflection rate on that length of 20x60 is practically non-existent, far less than that of the standard 8-12mm linear rod typically used.

There's small things like the lack of a print cooler, or the lack of an LCD screen, cable carriers without buying an upgrade that turn me off on the MM3, but overall, both machines are great choices
    Thanks...Ya I have watched all the reviews and even spent some time on the IRC site to see how it was. It turned out really responsive and I kinda like the immediacy of it. The Taz 5 just turned me off with all the mods that are done to improve it, the open rail mods basically turn it into a MM3. The thing that really turned me off is that so many people say that is the must mod for the Taz 5 and it doesn't seem like they are implementing it on the Taz 6, at least from the rendering I last saw.

There are some printed parts on the MM3 too. Their extruder is pretty much all printed, but I see that is how it is on a lot of the printers these days. E3D BigBox looks like it could be nice but right away, it has a wood or plexi glass frame. That right there take it out of contention for me.

Thanks again....

Engineer-in-Training
    Yah, printed extruders are pretty much the norm. With the exception of the Printrbot extruder, and the Micron3D, there's a surprising lack of good open-source metal extruders. Maybe that's a justification to get a CNC mill haha!

I hadn't realized how popular the rail mod was for the Taz. A lot of the press and reviews I've seen have been on a stock Taz. I know the old Taz4 had issues with the hot end and PLA, but that was fixed with the Hexagon on the Taz 5. I wonder if it's truly an issue, or makers just looking for ways to upgrade their machines!

Could you please elaborate on the print cooler....I have seen the term mentioned before. Are you referring to cooling fans that are usually placed near the hot end to cool PLA? I have added a more accurate pic of the MM3. If you look at the main product page for the MM3 it does not show the cooling fans but it does include 2x50mm fans for cooling.

mm3.jpg
    Last edited by BLZN57; 12-11-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Yup, that's exactly it. It's not really needed if you are printing ABS, but for PLA, it's almost crucial. It aids a lot when printing sharp overhangs, small details, or unsupported areas, and without one, it makes a huge difference in quality.

Generally, the closer you can get it to the hot end tip, without affecting the heater block itself, the better. You'll see that even the new TAZ6 (Mangrove) has dual cooling fans for PLA

Yup, that's exactly it. It's not really needed if you are printing ABS, but for PLA, it's almost crucial. It aids a lot when printing sharp overhangs, small details, or unsupported areas, and without one, it makes a huge difference in quality.

Generally, the closer you can get it to the hot end tip, without affecting the heater block itself, the better. You'll see that even the new TAZ6 (Mangrove) has dual cooling fans for PLA
    So after chatting on IRC that pic I added to my last post is wrong. It actually comes with two blower fans situated about the same as in the pic I added and you have to print out the fan mounts on your own.

Engineer-in-Training
    Ahh, okay, didn't see that in their product page at first, and didn't see your edit! Looks good to me!