Close

Thread: Z18 Replicator

Z18 Replicator

Hi,
    Ever since the CES and Makerbots announcment of the Z18 I have been eager to know more. The huge volume for a desktop machine really interested me.
    http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-z18

I had a very interesting/frustrating talk with a reseller today since I am very curious about their announcment for the Z18. It appears :
    - the Z18 is not going to have multiple extruders.
    - following the new eco Makerbot policy it will only print PLA.
    - the reseller boasted a 0,05mm layer thickness with an optional smaller extruder head.
    - not specific to the Z18, the software does not allow to make some guidance choices in the support generation (the formlabs soft allows you to parameter the density of support and the contact point size).

It immediately raised a few issues to me :
    - So... if it only prints PLA, why is there a heated chamber ?
    - Is 0,05mm layer thickness in FFF a reality ? Is it something to be grateful for if the build size is 45cm/30cm/30cm ?
    - I thought multiple extruders were the holy graal since it allowed for simpler soluble support removal (PVA). Also, no possibility to print multi colours ?
    - Why PLA exclusively, when the final products are not exactly durable ?

Can anyone make sense out of it for me ? Was the reseller poorly informed, is it too early to say or is it a will to simplify the product line ?

So it won't have dual extruders? Do any of the Replicators have dual extruders? I know they have the smart extruder but I think you are right. No dual extruders.

Something I found interesting though, is that it comes with MakerWare, which is described on the sale page for the Z18 as:

Use MakerWare to:
    Open multiple .stl and .obj files at once and arrange them on the build platform.
    Scale, move, and rotate individual models or groups of models at once.
    Set up two-color prints for your MakerBot Replicator or Replicator 2X with new easy dual extrusion integration.
    Says you can set up two-color prints for your Replicator with new easy dual extrusion. Does that mean it does have dual extruders?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by greatestalive View Post
    So it won't have dual extruders? Do any of the Replicators have dual extruders? I know they have the smart extruder but I think you are right. No dual extruders.

Something I found interesting though, is that it comes with MakerWare, which is described on the sale page for the Z18 as:

Says you can set up two-color prints for your Replicator with new easy dual extrusion. Does that mean it does have dual extruders?
    AFAIK, the 2X is the only dual-extruder makerbot.

Well, as it turns out, I wasn't the first one to think this was not an optimum position for Makerbot.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ces-2014...ews-18224.html

Student
    Is it really that much more expensive, that MakerBot hasn't put Dual Extruders on all their replicators?