Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Student

R.I.P. Power Supply

As you can assume from the title my power supply is deceased (or so i think)
    All the sudden when I plug the ps cord in it doesn't turn on
    I can't really think of anything that would cause this, all connections look good, extension cord works by itself
    I think I would have noticed if the ps died from excessive load, and the last print i did worked all the way to the end

Does anyone have ideas about things i should check, etc.

Still under warranty?

I would check the fuse?

Student
    Still under warranty?
    Amazon 30 day warranty is long gone, so no.

I would check the fuse?
    Unfortunately my hardware knowledge does not extend far into electronics, but I'm assuming that I would have to open up the case to do this? How do I find the fuse?

Thanks for the fast replies

Engineer-in-Training
    Has your power supply been making any weird noises before this?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceorange12 View Post
    ...Does anyone have ideas about things i should check, etc.
    I assume you're using one of the usual 12V 30-amps or so switching power supplies that fit the mounting hole pattern on the MakerFarm printers. The vast majority of such power supplies sold on Amazon, eBay, and 3D-printer sites are low-cost knock-offs of a Mean-Well brand power supply. Presumably built with lower quality components or inadequate quality control, a few threads here have unfortunately discussed these knock-off power supplies failing.

While some failures might be caused by something simple like a bad solder joint that could be easily fixed, it's probably best to consider the power supply non-repairable. The original Mean Well design does have a replaceable small glass tube fuse (under the cover, on the circuit board near the terminal block) on the AC input but that would most likely burn open only as a precaution when something else has failed in the power supply. Any problem downstream from the power supply should just shut down the output, not open the fuse on the AC input. You could check it and replace it if it appears burned open or tests as open with a meter. If the fuse is good or burns open again after replacement, I'd look for a new power supply.
    Last edited by printbus; 12-10-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: readability

Technician
    Add ZorAxe on Thingiverse
    Every power supply must have some kind of fuse for protection. Whether its internal or external. If you open it up I'm sure you could find a fuse. Open the power supply and send a picture here on the forum and we can help identify it for you.

Student
    Open the power supply and send a picture here on the forum and we can help identify it for you.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Let me know if anything is amiss.

I assume you're using one of the usual 12V 30-amps or so switching power supplies that fit the mounting hole pattern on the MakerFarm printers.
    Yep. My guess is that my 12" overloaded the PS and messed up something internally.

If the fuse is good or burns open again after replacement, I'd look for a new power supply.
    Can you send me a link to one you prefer? I'd probably want a 40a one just to be safe.

P.S. Yes the fuse is completely intact if you can't tell from the tiny pic
    Last edited by spaceorange12; 12-10-2015 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Clarification

Senior Engineer
    If the fuse is OK then it should be an easy fix. Have you checked the temperature sensor for continuity, the one stuffed into the green inductor?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceorange12 View Post
    Can you send me a link to one you prefer? I'd probably want a 40a one just to be safe.
    I lucked into a used power supply, so I don't have a vetted source to offer. Someone else might. Meanwell doesn't appear to be publishing any "how to identify a fake Meanwell" info, so I can't offer that either.

There have been a few threads where options have been discussed. Some have done well with the low cost knockoffs - you just have to accept the YMMV factor. Your range of replacement options depends on whether you want the power supply to mount on the printer frame. If not, some have used an ATX-type power supply. This thread mentions a server power supply that has been adapted for free-standing use - http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...nt-Requirement.

40 amps would put you into a 500 watt or larger power supply. Just as another option, MakerFarm at least used to suggest using two power supplies on the larger printers, with one dedicated to the large heat bed on those printers. A smaller one can be used to power the electronics, motor, and extruder heater.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast