I'm posting in hopes that it will help others with the same problem. I had been printing along for a few months and was making beautiful prints. I ran out of filament and bought some more but it was a different brand. I made a few objects with the new material and it was working well so I felt like my calibration was good for this new 3mm filament too.

Then I began to get ripples in the first layers. No matter what I printed it made ripples and I couldn't figure it out. I changed hot end temps, bed temps, speed and nothing helped. I then read about the extrusion percentage setting. Mine was set to 100% and I pulled that back to 98% and it seemed to help but not much. I kept pulling it back and at 94% I got a perfect first layer. If you pull that back too much then the head will be pulling and stretching the filament so I'm sure I need to keep an eye on it. But, it solved my problem. I've posted a photo that has 4 samples. The bottom right photo is of the new setting and the others show the problem. I hope this helps someone experiencing the same issue.

ExtrusionSettings.jpg