Close

Engineer-in-Training

Experiences with Pegasus?

Recently, I have been using my printer to sell parts for rocketry and other various things for local businesses.

So I am looking into getting a second printer to help speed things up. I am happy with my Prusa IV3 after adding some modifications so I was looking at the Pegasus printer due to the cost and the aluminum extrusion frame.

However, I cannot find many reviews or comments about the extrusion system. I have had great success with the Greg Wades Extruder, but I am weary about the direct drive. Anyone have any comments about it?

I am using a Wade's extruder. It works fine for me.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I am using a Wade's extruder. It works fine for me.
    Oh, from what I saw it only had the direct drive. Did you modify it to run the Grey Wade?

No. I thought you were talking about the Wade's extruder being direct drive. It has a motor with bushing with teeth on it that directly presses against the filament and grabs it and drives it down into the hot end. That seemed like 'direct drive' to me. We must be talking about different things.

Engineer-in-Training
    No. I thought you were talking about the Wade's extruder being direct drive. It has a motor with bushing with teeth on it that directly presses against the filament and grabs it and drives it down into the hot end. That seemed like 'direct drive' to me. We must be talking about different things.
    I am talking about:

http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/pegasus-8-kit.html

Instead of using the Wades Extruder, the Pegasus comes with a direct drive. Instead of the stepper motor turning a large gear that turns the filament, the Pegasus is setup such that the stepper motor has a hobled attachment that drives the filament directly.

I have a dual nozzle direct drive printer I'm bringing up. It works. But I can tell you I wish I had the extra leverage the gears would give me.

Engineer-in-Training
    I have a dual nozzle direct drive printer I'm bringing up. It works. But I can tell you I wish I had the extra leverage the gears would give me.
    That was my concern. I may ask Colin to see what he has to say about adding a Greg Wade extruder to the Pegasus.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Yeah I think the concern is that with the reduced gear reduction, you're getting close to getting by with the available torque from the stepper motor. If I'm not mistaken, non-geared, direct drive extruders are always ONLY 1.75mm filament, since they apparently do not have the torque to drive 3mm...
    Last edited by printbus; 12-15-2015 at 06:29 AM.

Engineer
    Bondtech QR extruder is what you need

I have one now for about two weeks. It works very well, is robust and uses industry standard parts. There are some wood pieces, but they are actually very robust. The extruder works very well and I have printed several items with success. Most of my failures were due to bed height and once I got that dialed in I haven't looked back. Colin is very supportive and provides prompt help when needed. The build guide is about 90%, and you can easily tell during the build what needs to be done. Highly recommended.