Close

Thread: generation 6?

generation 6?

Hi,
    I am new to 3d printing and looking to purchase a printer as family present for Christmas.
    5th generation is out for almost 2 years already.
    does anyone know when generation 6 will come out? CES16?
    any thoughts are welcome.
    thanks,
    p

Personally I would recommend against Makerbot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    why and what would you recommend?

Makerbot policies in regards to customer service are appalling (my opinion). Furthermore their 5th gen was a total flop, I'd be wary buying anything off them until they can consistently deliver quality products. Lastly their printer are very expensive, particularly in light of what you're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    @p3dprint
    I can't belive you can't find any of the numerous articles detailing the scandal around the makerbots 5th gen. Faulty extruder design issue known before product launch, not solved for over 30 months ; no spares, ; shitty tech support ; poor software solution... Do the search.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    @p3dprint
    I can't belive you can't find any of the numerous articles detailing the scandal around the makerbots 5th gen. Faulty extruder design issue known before product launch, not solved for over 30 months ; no spares, ; shitty tech support ; poor software solution... Do the search.
    I did read about some of it, but some of the stuff you wrote is new to me.

still the question remains do we have any indication that gen 6 is coming at CES16?

Oh, I forgot to mention the Thingiverse controversy where Makerbot basically says anything you post is theirs.

... A company with such history, you'd still give in to the hype and buy their product ?

There's a VERY interesting documentary in NETFLIX : "3D print the Legend". You should watch it, Makerbot is almost 50% of it. When you look at this and Jaglom's latest statements (firing people, firing more people, closing down venues ...) that doesn't seem like a good work environment to develop a product you'd want to buy.

Whatever they announce at CES 2016, I won't believe in or care for.

Follow Christina Jackson On Twitter Add Christina Jackson on Facebook Add Christina Jackson on Google+
    I agree with the others, I'd recommend don't buy 3d printers from Makerbot. Their 5th generation printers sucks, the earlier generations are much better than the latest ones. I also doubt that their generation 6 printers will be "great" and make it up for their failures on 5th gen. Also, they have a horrible customer support, so no. Don't buy from them. Choose greater printers like Printrbot, Ultimaker Flashforge or Wanhao instead.

Looking at Ultimaker 2 now....
    Is there a reason why this forum doesnt have a subforum for these?

Quote Originally Posted by p3dprint View Post
    Looking at Ultimaker 2 now....
    Is there a reason why this forum doesnt have a subforum for these?
    They have their own forum. Very active too.