Close

rectangle block with 2 triangles hanging off

Hi all,
    glad I found this forum, been a lurker for a while, but now I need some guidance for a part I'd like to make. I have a PRUSA 3d printer, heated bed, etc.... I've had lots of fun getting it working and printing all sorts of cool things with it... learning a ton while printing too :-)
    Now I'm in need of a block with two inverted triangles hanging off on a 1/4" long by 1/8"wide "stem", the points of the triangles have to be 2" apart from each other and the triangles have to be 3/8" at their widest point.

I've tried to make the part in Photoshop to exact dimensions (which I have), then import into meshmaker and save as an STL file to print, then bring it into Cura to slice and print.
    However when I bring it into Cura to slice and print, it always comes imports HUGE and I have to try and scale it down... tried several times and it's frustrating doing it this way as I can never get it to the proper dimensions. Why is it always so HUGE when I import into Cura? it's always so big it fills up the screen kinda big :-(
    I'm very careful with my dimensions within Photoshop...

There has got to be a better way... an easier program to use, perhaps something I can use to draw the shape to the right size, then maybe slice and print with it too? Heck, I'd be happy if I could simply import the part into Cura and have it retain the drawn dimentions....
    What should I be using to make the part to exact specifications and then slice it and print it? I have a lot of experience with Photoshop, so I'm no stranger to that type of software... however Autocad or solidworks might have too steep of a learning curve for me for this purpose... I'd love something nice and easy to start off with...

thanks all!
    Mike B

Engineer-in-Training
    Try FreeCAD (freeware), TinkerCAD (free Autodesk browser app), 123-D design (also from Autodesk, but runs locally) or Sketchup (Google). If you can program, then OpenSCAD (freeware) is very powerful.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah sounds like soemthing openscad would be ideal for.
    You don't need to be able to program. Just count and do basic aritmatic. It's real easy to get into.

ALso use MILLIMETRES !
    3d printing does not work in inches. This is why things look huge when you import them into a slicer or meshmixer.

I've just got a book on autidesks 123d suite of programs. There hasn't been anything I havcen't been able to design with openscad - just thought I could do with learning other programs with different features and the autodesk ones look pretty good and 'relatively' easy to learn - and are free :-)

Inches are for rough approximations - millimetres are for engineering :-)