Close

Student

Build plate doesn't stop rising

Suddenly my Gen 5 has an out-of-control build plate. When it rises to print or level, it doesn't stop. The plate hits the extruder nozzle, makes a terrible clicking noise as it keeps trying to rise, and then I cancel the print. At that point, the plate won't lower like it usually does. I've turned the Makerbot off and on. I've manually lowering it, but that doesn't prevent it from happening again.

My software and firmware is up to date. Any ideas?

Best guess without seeing anything would be the limit switch or the wiring for the limit switch...

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Hi!

There are two ways in which you can correct the level settings of your build plate. It is done automatic or manually. For automatic, you need to select Utilities from the LCD panel and go to Level Built plate. You will be guided into leveling your knobs on the underside of the build platform. If not, you can do it manually by following the steps below:

1. Go to the Utilities menu on the LCD screen and select Home Axes.
    2. Manually move the extruder to different points above the build plate. At each point, use a piece of paper, feeler gauge, or other measuring tool to gauge the distance between the build plate and extruder nozzle. The distance should be about 75% of your planned layer height.
    3. At each point, turn the leveling knobs beneath the build plate to the left to raise the build plate and to the right to lower it.

If not, the issue may be on your switch, or it could be a problem in your z axis. Let me know if this works for you.

Technician
    Hi there
    If your build plate doesn't stop while rising your SE doesn't detect it.
    Unload filament and check nozzle tip if it moves freely.
    If not you have to clean plastic from moving area around nozzle.
    If it moves with no problem then it look like sensor went bad and you will have to replace SE.

Regards
    Roberto