Close

Creator Pro and Makerbot Desktop 3.8 issue

Hey all!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Ive been running Makerbot desktop with my creator pro since February with great results. However, I updated to 3.8 last week, and I have run into an issue where if I want to print with the left extruder, it does not seem to work. It only works on the default "low, medium, high" settings. I like to tweak a few values and that why I prefer using the custom profiles.

I have the object selected to be printed with the left extruder. I also have the right extruder temperature at 0 (off), and the left set at 245 (for nylon). When the file is sent to the printer, only the bed heats up and I am not getting any heating of the left extruder. I have never had an issue printing using the USB cable. Any ideas? Anyone have a copy of 3.7?

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Hi Erik,

I have the Mac version but not sure if that is what you need?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Time to migrate off that software. It is only geared toward the newer Replicator printers. I heard it isn't even tested on older Makerbot printers that the Flashforge stuff happens to be based off of.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_E View Post
    Hey all!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Ive been running Makerbot desktop with my creator pro since February with great results. However, I updated to 3.8 last week, and I have run into an issue where if I want to print with the left extruder, it does not seem to work. It only works on the default "low, medium, high" settings. I like to tweak a few values and that why I prefer using the custom profiles.

I have the object selected to be printed with the left extruder. I also have the right extruder temperature at 0 (off), and the left set at 245 (for nylon). When the file is sent to the printer, only the bed heats up and I am not getting any heating of the left extruder. I have never had an issue printing using the USB cable. Any ideas? Anyone have a copy of 3.7?

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    try this one: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...-x86-computers

Or just reinstall the version you had that worked prior to the upgrade.

As a general rule - never upgrade software that works and does what you want it to.

Super Moderator
    I think that is what he was asking, for a link to the previous version. I might have it, but don't use makerworn any more.

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    I think that is what he was asking, for a link to the previous version. I might have it, but don't use makerworn any more.
    Yes exactly. I updated to 3.8, but i cant get my left extruder to heat up for anything. 3.7 worked well for me, but is no longer available to download from MakerBot.

I loved to use their custom profiles in 3.7, but it looks like it may be time to upgrade to simplify 3d.

Careful with Simplify 3D. After much trial and error, it seems that there's some serious issues when printing over USB from it (at least to the FlashForge Creator Pro). SD card works fine, however. This is on Windows 10, BTW.

Super Moderator
    Printing over USB has never been a recommended method of using these types of 3d Printers.

Understood, however, I've had nothing but success with MakerBot Desktop, MatterControl, and ReplicatorG. No failed prints. There's clearly a software compatibility issue with Simplify3D. I enjoy the convenience of USB, and haven't found a reason otherwise to think the SD card is the only option. I've read the same thing. SD card is guaranteed to work... I just wanted to point out a serious issue that seems to only exist with Simplify3D. I wasted a ton of time diagnosing this, and finally narrowed it down to their software (I tried numerous compatibility modes, and USB/COM serial drivers).

Cheers!