Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you use a dedicated Computer for your 3D Printer

I am curious. Do you guys have a specific PC/Mac/Laptop that you use specifically for 3D design and 3D printing? I've found it easier to do this, as I can leave everything I need on a daily basis open without distracting me from my other computer stuff I do.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Yes, definitely.

I have a PC I use as my primary computer for everything, but also have a couple laptops that are handy for some multitasking and on the go use. But my printer is stationary so is controlled by the stationary computer.
    I have the software on the laptops for my printer though, just in case I want to prep something when I'm out for printing once I get home.

I use a raspberry pi running octoprint hooked up to one printer. This gives me a web interface for controlling and monitoring the printer. I've also got a pi camera hooked up so I can watch the print through the octoprint web interface from wherever I am.

It also means I can leave the printer unattended for long print jobs without having to leave a laptop or PC switched on and connected to it and lets me locate the printer a fair distance away from my desk without having to run a long USB cable.

@ 3DKarma - Nice idea! I did this for awhile but I have poor Wifi range so I stopped. I'm going to be starting again.

I did have a dedicated laptop (EEE PC) but that died so now I'm just converting gcode on mac and then running to and from the garage with SD cards!

Although! The Open Pandora can now control 3D Printers, so this will become my standard 3D print UMPC very soon.

Save your legs. Implement IPoAC (IP over Avian Carriers) between the house and garage. Might take a little while for the gcode to load, though.

I have a dedicated laptop and usually print off an SD card.

I have one PC in the workshop with XP as its operating system. I use it to run CNC and 3D CAM programs, as well as a CAD program. The PC is not connected to the internet.

I have another PC in my home office which runs all my Office software, internet access software and slic3r. It runs Win 8.1. I use an SD card or USB thumb drive to take gcode files out to the workshop computer.

Old Man Emu

I don't have a dedicated PC, but I sure as heck wish I did. Just can't afford another one after buying my 3D printer

I have a local (non-networked) computer hooked up to my ZCorp printer. I have to take my Solidworks files from my laptop on a flash drive to that computer for printing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast