Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

functionality/robustness

Hi Guys,
    As I continue on my 3d print adventures, I have printed some great articles,
    my main issue now is how to make parts stronger and more durable for engineering tasks and validation.
    Delamination is a constant problem as is splitting and I fear the very nature of the 3D Printing process, makes parts inherently weak,
    does anyone know of any post processes that can strengthen parts? Or any other strengthening methodologies?
    Cheers
    Anthony

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sounds like you're using abs.

Pla doesn't split or delaminate, neither do nylon, pet or any of the other non-abs materials available.

For stiffer prints use carbon fibre reinforced materials.

For super strong parts coat them in metal. several kits available for electroplating - not cheap. But the finished metal coated part is probably good for many end use purposes.

There are many many new materails coming out every week. Most of them more user friendly and stronger than standard abs.
    There are even stronger less shrinkable versions of abs around.

Also the number of shells, and type and % infill makes a helluva lot of difference as does the print orientation.

printed some clips in pla this year and they just kept breaking. Ended up using pet. Then realised if I turned them on their side they'd be stronger. And they are, actually now, a lot stronger and more flexible than the pet ones - and stiffer so less likely to fall off. And a cleaner faster, cheaper print.
    Just for printing in a different orientation.

So yes there are many ways to improve prints and make them stronger.

The only lecture/talk I ever went to at the tct show, had a guy talking about electroplating nylon parts. Apparently the company he sent the first one too fitted it to an engine and was doing full spec and strength tests. And it held up.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-16-2015 at 05:57 AM.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    You can also make ABS stronger by vapor polishing in acetone, or sometimes I quick dip in acetone. There is some good epoxy coating that helps with strength. Printing ABS at higher temps helps layer adhesion. Nylon Bridge from taulmann is nearly indestructable. Petg is really good, but a little more flexible than abs. I have had good results with PETG/Carbon filament from 3DxTech. Stay away from their "ION" ABS/Nylon blend. I never did get good layer adhesion with that stuff. Their abs/carbon is good though, but can be a little brittle, but still strong. Just watch what you use it for.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    sounds like you're using abs.

Pla doesn't split or delaminate, neither do nylon, pet or any of the other non-abs materials available.

For stiffer prints use carbon fibre reinforced materials.

For super strong parts coat them in metal. several kits available for electroplating - not cheap. But the finished metal coated part is probably good for many end use purposes.

There are many many new materails coming out every week. Most of them more user friendly and stronger than standard abs.
    There are even stronger less shrinkable versions of abs around.

Also the number of shells, and type and % infill makes a helluva lot of difference as does the print orientation.

printed some clips in pla this year and they just kept breaking. Ended up using pet. Then realised if I turned them on their side they'd be stronger. And they are, actually now, a lot stronger and more flexible than the pet ones - and stiffer so less likely to fall off. And a cleaner faster, cheaper print.
    Just for printing in a different orientation.

So yes there are many ways to improve prints and make them stronger.

The only lecture/talk I ever went to at the tct show, had a guy talking about electroplating nylon parts. Apparently the company he sent the first one too fitted it to an engine and was doing full spec and strength tests. And it held up.

Interesting info
    I did not realize it was such a material based problem.
    Thank you for that great info!
    i Have a project coming up where the main use is in the application of beauty products (very different to my norm!)
    will probably need to resist chemical attack, so ABS wouldn't be good anyway.

Technician
    Thank you for the tips,
    I will give it a go!

Delamination can happen with all material types (FDM).

Your printer is not a set-and-forget machine. You will need to change the enviroment depending on what material you use. PLA need lots of air movement and lower temps, ABS need high temps and a heated enclosed environment.

Material origin can also be behind delamination. Esun filament is miles ahead of Flashforge filament for example.

Lastly 3D printed parts do not have the strength of cast or moulded parts. Anecdotal evidence suggests that 3D printed parts max out at 60% of moulded parts.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Delamination can happen with all material types (FDM).

Your printer is not a set-and-forget machine. You will need to change the enviroment depending on what material you use. PLA need lots of air movement and lower temps, ABS need high temps and a heated enclosed environment.

Material origin can also be behind delamination. Esun filament is miles ahead of Flashforge filament for example.

Lastly 3D printed parts do not have the strength of cast or moulded parts. Anecdotal evidence suggests that 3D printed parts max out at 60% of moulded parts.
    interesting and useful information as always , thanks Sebastian, 60% Iw onder if there is any way for this to beimproved upon with FDM in the future, seems like a tall order

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sebastien only thinks in industrial terms.
    And anecdotal evidence is basically someone saying: 'it's not as strong, but I've never actually tested more than a couple types of material' :-)

It depends ENTIRELY on the part and how it's made and what's it's for.

my personal experience is that - done right - printed parts can be a lot stronger and more durable than injection moulded parts - assuming you could get an injection moulded part with a solid skin and variable patteren non-solid matrix interior - which of course you can't :-)
    This is based on my replacing injection moulded parts that break a lot with my on designed printed parts that don't break anywhere near as much. Also anecdotal.

Comparing like with like is nearly impossible.

Also different materials have different properties - so again, there is no actual comparison available.
    for example you can't compare an injection moulded part made from abs to a 3d printed part made from nylon (mymat nylon is best ;-)
    The nylon part will be stronger.

Also solid injection moulded parts will crack and shatter - 3d printed parts won't do so to anywhere near the same degree. This is because shockwaves don't propagate through a mesh infill anywhere nears as well as they do through a solid part.

At the end of the day what matters is that 3d printed parts are very strong, not directly comparable to injection moulded parts and the clincher is that anyone can have a3d printer on their desk, almost no-one has an injection moulder.
    Work with what you have, and don't waste time wondering if it's as good as something made with an entirely different process. and material.

Now if you're making something to apply makeup you will probably be best using an antibacterial filament.
    http://www.wedo3dprinting.uk/filamen...-filament.html

Engineer-in-Training
    If you want a strong part design it to assemble from multiple pieces with layer orientations 90 degrees from each other.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    sebastien only thinks in industrial terms.
    And anecdotal evidence is basically someone saying: 'it's not as strong, but I've never actually tested more than a couple types of material' :-)

It depends ENTIRELY on the part and how it's made and what's it's for.

my personal experience is that - done right - printed parts can be a lot stronger and more durable than injection moulded parts - assuming you could get an injection moulded part with a solid skin and variable patteren non-solid matrix interior - which of course you can't :-)
    This is based on my replacing injection moulded parts that break a lot with my on designed printed parts that don't break anywhere near as much. Also anecdotal.

Comparing like with like is nearly impossible.

Also different materials have different properties - so again, there is no actual comparison available.
    for example you can't compare an injection moulded part made from abs to a 3d printed part made from nylon (mymat nylon is best ;-)
    The nylon part will be stronger.

Also solid injection moulded parts will crack and shatter - 3d printed parts won't do so to anywhere near the same degree. This is because shockwaves don't propagate through a mesh infill anywhere nears as well as they do through a solid part.

At the end of the day what matters is that 3d printed parts are very strong, not directly comparable to injection moulded parts and the clincher is that anyone can have a3d printer on their desk, almost no-one has an injection moulder.
    Work with what you have, and don't waste time wondering if it's as good as something made with an entirely different process. and material.

Now if you're making something to apply makeup you will probably be best using an antibacterial filament.
    http://www.wedo3dprinting.uk/filamen...-filament.html
    You lot are much smarter than I, that is certain! I tend to be on the more aesthetic side of the spectrum, but do love to learn the mechanical aspects of things, as I seem to be learning something obviously new!
    cool filament, I wonder if it is resistant to acetone attack? will need to look into this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast