Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    If you want a strong part design it to assemble from multiple pieces with layer orientations 90 degrees from each other.
    this would be done to form a sort of triangulation effect? or increase cross sectional area, or both?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    It is more that each individual part will be stronger due having its own shells and optimized infill pattern and that infill wont spill over to other parts of the design.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    It is more that each individual part will be stronger due having its own shells and optimized infill pattern and that infill wont spill over to other parts of the design.
    Ah got it!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony27 View Post
    You lot are much smarter than I, that is certain! I tend to be on the more aesthetic side of the spectrum, but do love to learn the mechanical aspects of things, as I seem to be learning something obviously new!
    cool filament, I wonder if it is resistant to acetone attack? will need to look into this.
    it's pla - so yep it's resistant to acetone.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    printed some clips in pla this year and they just kept breaking. Ended up using pet. Then realised if I turned them on their side they'd be stronger. And they are, actually now, a lot stronger and more flexible than the pet ones - and stiffer so less likely to fall off. And a cleaner faster, cheaper print.
    Just for printing in a different orientation.
    wow.
    I was wondering about this but didn't know it would make THAT much difference.
    I have one piece in particular that I designed and it is long and thin but needs rigidity for it's purpose but at the same time, flexibility to install.

I'm going to try printing it with the PLA with the object on it's side so I can see what difference it makes.

THANKS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12