Close

Peachy Printer Founder

The Scanner is not feature creep, and Im sticking to that.

Some people have expressed concern that the scanner stuff were working on is feature creep.
    Id just like to clarify that It is not. Here are some reasons why the scanner is being worked on.

1. I said in our main campaign video "and on top of all that, when combined with a camera it(the peachy printer) with be a 3D Scanner too"
    not only did we say that every peachy printer would be a scanner we said it in the first 25 seconds of the main video, so we didnt exactly brush over it. We even showed footage of a scan that was done with software I wrote
    to prove to the team at the time that it was possible to include a scanner within the 100 dollar kits budget.

2. People spent money on the scanner specifically. Not only did we sell 3D scanner add-ons, we also have heard from some of our backers that they bought the 100 dollar printer kit because they were interested in
    its ability to be a 3d scanner, and didn’t really care as much about it being a printer.

For These reasons I will continue to develop the scanner.

Now that the peachy team is working on the scanner its getting exciting!
    Not only are we still confident that we can ship it with every 100 dollar kit.
    James Is making massive improvements to the software, and over the first 3 weeks has had many breakthrough realizations.
    Erik Is making simple and easy to build hardware, and just yesterday he had a breakthrough realization.
    And just like the 3D printer, it looks like we can make the scanner customizable so that you can hack it to scan much larger or smaller objects if you want.

Technician
    regarding the scanning of objects, with both cotrolled roatation and the scan line sweeping across the scan space it should be possible to reduce the issues of the holes in scans from fixed scan lines(this happens with objects in fixed laser line scanners), and as the printer is using a swept laser for the printing, the big issues would be the scanned object's surface reacting to and absorbing the near uv laser and also preventing the surrounding space getting the reflections of the uv laser beam(this can be done with a light(uv especially) tight cover over the scanning volume

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
    Some people have expressed concern that the scanner stuff were working on is feature creep.
    Id just like to clarify that It is not. Here are some reasons why the scanner is being worked on.

1. I said in our main campaign video "and on top of all that, when combined with a camera it(the peachy printer) with be a 3D Scanner too"
    not only did we say that every peachy printer would be a scanner we said it in the first 25 seconds of the main video, so we didnt exactly brush over it. We even showed footage of a scan that was done with software I wrote
    to prove to the team at the time that it was possible to include a scanner within the 100 dollar kits budget.

2. People spent money on the scanner specifically. Not only did we sell 3D scanner add-ons, we also have heard from some of our backers that they bought the 100 dollar printer kit because they were interested in
    its ability to be a 3d scanner, and didn’t really care as much about it being a printer.

For These reasons I will continue to develop the scanner.

Now that the peachy team is working on the scanner its getting exciting!
    Not only are we still confident that we can ship it with every 100 dollar kit.
    James Is making massive improvements to the software, and over the first 3 weeks has had many breakthrough realizations.
    Erik Is making simple and easy to build hardware, and just yesterday he had a breakthrough realization.
    And just like the 3D printer, it looks like we can make the scanner customizable so that you can hack it to scan much larger or smaller objects if you want.
    I think this is a hugely exciting announcement...... One of the reasons I went for the Peachy was the possibilty of using it as a scanner. I am frequently approached (as I am a Mr fixit) by people with broken plastic parts (cooker knobs, gears etc) wanting them repaired. With the scanner, u just temporarily glue up the part and scan it. Then print a brand spanking new one !!!!

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by harpo99999 View Post
    regarding the scanning of objects, with both controlled rotation and the scan line sweeping across the scan space it should be possible to reduce the issues of the holes in scans from fixed scan lines(this happens with objects in fixed laser line scanners), and as the printer is using a swept laser for the printing, the big issues would be the scanned object's surface reacting to and absorbing the near uv laser and also preventing the surrounding space getting the reflections of the uv laser beam(this can be done with a light(uv especially) tight cover over the scanning volume
    1. Exactly we hope to ship a scanner that will not have the same problems as many fixed laser scanners
    2. Were planing to ship a red laser diode, for many reasons, including the one you mentioned above. although I must say that the UV laser dose do a wonderful job of scanning white paper, coloured with hi lighter marker

Peachy Printer Founder
    EDIT: thanks for pointing out that I had the wrong text in quotes here quertz...

Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell
    I think this is a hugely exciting announcement...... One of the reasons I went for the Peachy was the possibilty of using it as a scanner. I am frequently approached (as I am a Mr fixit) by people with broken plastic parts (cooker knobs, gears etc) wanting them repaired. With the scanner, u just temporarily glue up the part and scan it. Then print a brand spanking new one !!!!
    Thanks for posting this! comments like this directly affect how much energy we put into the scanner functionality, so we are very happy to see even more evidence that working on the scanner Is on track.
    Last edited by rylangrayston; 11-16-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Did you just respond to your own comment?
    Or were you trying to refer to mike_bidells comment?