Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3d scanner

3d scanner

From the update
    To be clear, this update is not about the Scanner Attachment, which was an add on that we also offered. You don’t need the scanner attachment to use the Peachy as a 3D scanner. The Scanner Attachment is simply an add on that includes a mounting system, a camera, and a motor driven scan platform to make for easier and more effective scans.The Peachy Printer kit will include everything you need to use it as a 3D scanner except for a camera. Pretty much any camera that you can connect to your computer will suffice, higher the resolution the better.
    From what I can see the scanner needs a motor turntable of some sort to turn the object being scanned. And the ppk will include that? I wasn't expecting a turntable. I think I'm misundestanding something.

Quote Originally Posted by iplayfast View Post
    From the update

From what I can see the scanner needs a motor turntable of some sort to turn the object being scanned. And the ppk will include that? I wasn't expecting a turntable. I think I'm misundestanding something.
    I don't think you are misunderstanding. I think they are mis-communicating. It's not possible to actually scan more than a single line with out rotation.

Peachy Printer Founder
    You do need to rotate the object your scanning.
    The 100 dollar printer/scanner dose not ship with a motorized turn table but instead will ship with a simple way for you to move the turn table very smothly by some other means.
    We have come up with many many ways to do this but before I post about them Id be curious to know what the inventive minds here at 3d print board can come up with.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
    The 100 dollar printer/scanner dose not ship with a motorized turn table but instead will ship with a simple way for you to move the turn table very smothly by some other means.
    We have come up with many many ways to do this but before I post about them Id be curious to know what the inventive minds here at 3d print board can come up with.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Synchronou...FrWFoSeWKOX4zg

It would be helpful if you guys provided a bit more info like: will the line laser always be stationary or will it have to be moved in order to get the line where its supposed to be? It's my understanding that the laser in its normal printing position is at 90 degress to the platform surface. Is there a mecanism for consistency getting the line laser to make a 45 degree angle as you describe. I think these questions need to be answered before any real solutions can be sought from the community.

Technician
    it is comparitvely easy to relocate the laser in relation to the camera, and as for having consistancy between the laser source and camera that can be done in the frame/holder/case that the scanning happens in, BUT the big worry for me is the higher power near UV laser scattering off the scanned object and affecting the space around the scan volume, I suspect that this worry is why most of the laser based 3d scanners use low power red lasers

Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
    If you had an old style record player, and had a way of tracking how many times a second it rotated, you could then take a picture at the precise interval that the turntable would be rotated at any degree.
    Also if you took a series of pictures of something rotating on a turntable, and found the "degree of closeness" to one image you would get a sign wave where the peaks would be where pictures were exactly alike. That would determine the period of the turntable.
    Last edited by iplayfast; 11-15-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by iplayfast View Post
    If you had an old style record player, and had a way of tracking how many times a second it rotated, you could then take a picture at the precise interval that the turntable would be rotated at any degree.
    Also if you took a series of pictures of something rotating on a turntable, and found the "degree of closeness" to one image you would get a sign wave where the peaks would be where pictures were exactly alike. That would determine the period of the turntable.
    Nice... so for the scanner turntable in the campaign video I did something very similar... I was pretty dam broke at the time so I just used the stuff we had around the whorehouse ( I was pretty much living in a where house lol )
    I took my brothers skate board and mounted a dumbbell weight to one of the wheels. Next I recorded a video of the paper crane spinning on the platform. It was easy to edit the video so that I had just one rotation, and then turn the video frames into pngs.
    If I had 100 pictures then 360/ 100 = 3.6 .... each picture was 3.6 deg rotated from the last. Love you idea to find sine waves from high spots on the model! I had not thought of that, It would be a great way to automatically synchronize multiple scans of the same object too.
    If there are multiple high spots out of phase then for some objects there will be unique phase offsets for spots on the model, and further more placing an object off centre on the platform may simply add one big carrier wave that all the other sine waves ride on.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by harpo99999 View Post
    it is comparitvely easy to relocate the laser in relation to the camera, and as for having consistancy between the laser source and camera that can be done in the frame/holder/case that the scanning happens in, BUT the big worry for me is the higher power near UV laser scattering off the scanned object and affecting the space around the scan volume, I suspect that this worry is why most of the laser based 3d scanners use low power red lasers
    Yes not only that but the uv laser light is sometimes filterd out by a plastic film placed over the cameras sensor,
    There are many reasons behind the current plan, which is to ship both a Red laser diode and a uv laser diode.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheelbandb View Post
    It would be helpful if you guys provided a bit more info like: will the line laser always be stationary or will it have to be moved in order to get the line where its supposed to be? It's my understanding that the laser in its normal printing position is at 90 degress to the platform surface. Is there a mechanism for consistency getting the line laser to make a 45 degree angle as you describe. I think these questions need to be answered before any real solutions can be sought from the community.
    The software will likely just let you tell it what angle you have the laser at relative to the camera, and you may need a protractor. This is good because there seems to be a trade of between depth perception and resolution which is controlled by laser angle. At Peachy we like to make our products easy to hack, so many attributes like this will be easy to change later.
    You make a good point about needing more info to provide specific solutions, but right now the scanner hardware is not finalized, so this is a good time for you to tell us how you think it should work, instead of me telling you how its going to work.
    Of course we are close to shipping so some things are concrete, for example Iv got thousands of Red laser diodes paid for and in the mail, so Now is not a great time to suggest using green laser diodes.
    The circuit board were already shipping has the ability to turn on and off multiple laser diodes, and we can update the firmware to the board after shipping.
    The ABS plastic has been in my shop for quite some time, but we cut the parts plate just in time( LEAN manufacturing)
    So the laser cut scanner parts can still change.

So in short how would you like the scanner to work knowing that there is no motor and there is 1 or more red line lasers that you can turn on and off?
    Last edited by rylangrayston; 11-15-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast