Close

Calibrating print size, filament feed, and vertical wavy lines

Hi All, Thanks for all the great tips here! I am new to 3D printing and own a QIDI printer (one week), and this board has been amazingly helpful.

1- I have been able to calibrate everything to print pretty true to size (+/- .05mm on x and y axis with the 20mm calibration box) through adjusting "feedstockMultiplier", but am not able to calibrate the Z axis to print closer to spec. It is currently printing .35mm larger than the file size, may I ask if there is a way to adjust the custom print profile to have it print closer to spec and not have to adjust the Z print scale? (I use MakerWare 2.4)

2- If the tolerance on the X and Y axis are slightly different, and I just want to adjust one of them. Is the only option through adjusting the scale of that axis in MakerWare?

3- I have to adjust the filament feed often so it doesn't get wrapped too tightly around itself and then stuck. Is there a fix to this issue?

4- I have consistent vertical wavy lines on the sides of my calibration boxes especially as the size gets larger. Is there an adjustment that will improve this? I am currently printing at 60/80 or 70/90 mm/s speed.

Thanks in advance!

As I continue to work with the printer, I have been able to answer some of my own questions and thought that I would share what I have learned through trial and error. I am not sure if these are the best solutions but they have worked for me.

1- As a solution I have settled on "feedStockMultiplier" : 1.0 and made sure that "feedDiameter" is accurate to the filament used (by measuring and averaging over a 2 feet length). Then made sure that I level the bed a bit closer to take care of the last bit of difference, now the tolerance is +/- .05mm.

2- After the adjustment for question 1, I have not had much issues here.

3- I found this on thingiverse and it has taken care of the feed problem. I used this version because I will make a completely covered top to close off the ABS fumes. I also added a fume scrubber inside to help.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1167693

4- I have learned that this is called "Corner Ringing". Making sure that acceleration is "on" in the printer utilities is really important! I turned it off by accident. But I have not been able to completely fix this. I played with "doDynamicSpeed" but thought it was better without using it printing ABS and just adjusted the "insets" and "outlines" feed rate to 40 and 60 respectively. I also read that I can customize the printer acceleration settings somehow but will need to do more research.

And I found installing this fan to be the most useful in printing both ABS and PLA:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:537918

Hope this can help other beginners having the same issues as myself.
    Last edited by AmbientG; 12-10-2015 at 08:42 AM.