Close

Autodesk launches Project Leopard: Fusion 360 in the browser

It looks like our predictions are coming to fruition, as Autodesk has quietly launched a private, invite only beta to its browser-based version of Fusion 360 - its cloud-based 3D design system.
    The whole story

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    surely this kind of thing only works if you have a fast and reliable internet connection. I have neither :-)

Weird I know for someone in the it industry - unfortunately a question of where you live and which telephone excahnge you're connected to.

So what's the difference between 'cloud' fusion 360 and the downloadable 123d design suite of applications ?

ie: why pick one over the other ?

Haven't the foggiest. To be honest I am a fan of neither Autodesk nor the cloud so I shall be giving it a miss.

I use AD Fusion 360 every week, great tool really. Currently our models are stored in the cloud.

Seems the new version, browser based, is pretty similar to the client version. We just need to see the response time.

from the article:
    "It’s also key that this shouldn’t be seen as “Fusion Moving to the Browser”. Nope. This looks to be about giving folks access to their data and tools in those cases where they need them and the software isn’t to hand, can’t be installed or in emergencies."

Nothing to do with the 123d apps, which are more entry level apps.
    Last edited by Hugues; 11-11-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    I use AD Fusion 360 every week, great tool really. Currently our models are stored in the cloud.

Seems the new version, browser based, is pretty similar to the client version. We just need to see the response time.

from the article:
    "It’s also key that this shouldn’t be seen as “Fusion Moving to the Browser”. Nope. This looks to be about giving folks access to their data and tools in those cases where they need them and the software isn’t to hand, can’t be installed or in emergencies."

Nothing to do with the 123d apps, which are more entry level apps.
    I'm curious... what sort of work do you do? In my industry (aerospace) anything 'cloud' is absolutely forbidden...

I can't understand the whole cloud infatuation. As a pro I'd be wary of any downtime. As a non pro, I'm not too keen to depend on connection to do what I want.

The biggest issue we have with the cloud is (as you already say) downtime but also hacking (our files are highly confidential) and also the extra cost of moving large files.