Close

Simplify3D: heHow should I organize groups of settings?

Using Simplify3D, I need to make lots of different groups of settings, as I'm sure most users do. Big, boxy, flat objects can be printed fast, light and airy objects need slower, some objects don't need a solid surface on the bottom because they will always sit flat. Some objects need dual head printing with PVA support.

I need help on how to organize this. There are profiles, there are processes, and there are factory files. The obvious thing seemed, to make a new process when I wanted to use different settings. But now it's annoying. The tutorials would suggest that I'll see the list of processes to select when I hit the "Select models" button. But in fact, I never see such a button, and EVERY time I press the "Prepare to print" button, something pops up and asks me which process or processes to select, and I must turn off the extras one at a time!. Even though I already selected the process I wanted, in the list on the left. Screenshot included - note how the list of processes appears TWICE!

How can I make this not happen?? I really don't want to have to tell it multiple times what process I'm using, every single time. Should I be using multiple profiles instead of processes? Should I be doing something involving factory files? Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by Joymaker; 11-08-2015 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Image too small; forgot important info... would have liked to add a tag

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I only use factory files. What they are intended for is the store all settings AND the model inside the factory. This means when you open the factory everything will be there even if the STL file is long gone. Within each factory file is a process specifically tailored to that item. Now if I have a similar item to a factory file I have, I will open it and save as new factory, then make specific adjustments to that file.

I am sure there are other ways to work, but this works well for me. A process isn't a profile, it is a process specific to that item or group of items.

As far as the dialogue popping up, it will when you have multiple processes. Most of the time I only have one process in a factory unless in the rare case I am running a couple different processes to get some specific part of an item to print better. It is rare for me though.