Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steam punk-ish Nixie Clock

Hi,

Though I'll share my latest build with you. I'm busy designing and building a steam punk-ish Nixie tube clock. I'm using IN-14 nixie tubes and did the design for my PC-boards on KiCAD and converted the gerber files tog-code with FlatCam.

Here is my PC-Board and Niixie tubes Mounted on them.

The design of my clock is inspired from a clock that I saw on Instructables but there was no designs shared since the designer is selling the clocks, thus I decided to design my own.

Here are some renderings of my clock design thus far, I still have one or two things to finish.

Got all my part printed. Now it must sprayed with spray filler and then I must sand them down. Will update once I'm done with this step.

This is going to be a cool clock!

OK so I spray filled everything, sanded it down again and the copper pieces were sprayed and then "steampunked"
    [url=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/FaanPret/media/20151117_052324_zpshztqs18x.jpg.html][/url

I thought I'll show you how I steampunk my prints. Here are some parts I forgot about yesterday. They were sprayed with normal rattle cans (think that is what you call them in the States)

The texture you see on them was done with rustoleum texture spray.

First step is paint them with a mixture of wood stain and brown ink.

I give them about 3 coats, waiting for it to dry in between coats.
    Then I dry brush them with copper paint to bring some copper color back

The last step is very light dry brushing with gold paint just to give highlights.

Done.

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    This is an awesome steel clock! Great going!

gold parts sprayed and aged:

I assembled two of the nixie clock "lanterns" and then ran out of threaded rod. Will assemble the last one as soon I get 3mm threaded rod again.

After this is the electronics ... not one of my strong points

I made a ISP programmer to program the ATMega328 that will control the nixie tubes. It is not pretty but it works.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Fantastic!! Well Done!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast