Close

3D Printing and Joints

I'm reading about bio degradable bones and that it doesnt take too long anymore to use them in medicine.
    but what about joints?
    how far is the research there?
    I mean joints as a whole or parts of joints which have been destroyed or injured,that will be replaced,regenereated or repaired with biodegradable materials.

sorry for my english

Staff Engineer
    Are you sure you want to use biodegradable parts in human bodies? That doesn't seem like a great idea to me; they'd need periodic replacement. Maybe you're thinking about bio-compatible parts instead?

yes,they will be biodegradable.
    the bone parts will be 3d printed from a special material,that is robust and will act as a scaffold.after few months the material will be replaced by the bodies own bone.
    search for hala zreiquat on youtube.she explains what I mean.she talks about bones,but I'd like to know if such a method will be available in the near future for joints or parts of a joint.

Staff Engineer
    There's talk of using a technique like that to print cartilage - or, more accurately, structures to form cartilage when implanted in the body: http://3dprinting.com/news/fast-biop...lage-implants/ But as to its being implemented for patients in the "near future" - stuff like this is always decades off, since human trials take a long time, once there's a process that works reliably in animals.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com