Close

Exploring 3D printing options

I make what are called Aztec Death Whistles
    IMG_3665.jpg

I'm currently casting them in resin from a silicone mold. They are hollow cast and I embed the whistle inside.

Was interested in possibly moving to 3D printing, but just exploring that option now and had some questions:
    1) Can you I reproduce a similar quality on a printer at home (home sized budget) or will it be jagged and lower quality?
    2) What about getting them printed professionally? What ballpark cost range would I be looking at for material similar to resin?
    3) Are there options to scan my current designs into a design file? Do I need to find a pro for that?
    4) What 3D printers should I explore if I want to go the home option? Assuming a wide open budget just so I can get a perspective?

thank you!

Engineer-in-Training
    3d printers are not a good solution for production, if you're creating very small runs (less than 6), then it may make sense. Typically one would print the part and then create a mold from it for producing more.

As for quality, with a quality FDM printer you should get what you need with some finishing on the part (sanding, and acetone smoothing). The ultimaker 2 is widely considered the gold standard for home-use FDM printers, but you could also get what you need out of the flashforge creator for less than half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    3d printers are not a good solution for production, if you're creating very small runs (less than 6), then it may make sense. Typically one would print the part and then create a mold from it for producing more.

As for quality, with a quality FDM printer you should get what you need with some finishing on the part (sanding, and acetone smoothing). The ultimaker 2 is widely considered the gold standard for home-use FDM printers, but you could also get what you need out of the flashforge creator for less than half the price.
    Thank you for the detailed response! I may be expecting more than the technology is ready for at this time. Still would be fun to experiment and get involved with it even if it isn't quite ready just yet.