Close

Peachy Printer Print Success Rate vs Filament based 3D printer

I was thinking about this not too long ago

What do people think of the Peachy Printer's print success rate is ???
    I know with regular Filament based printers occasionally there are hiccups in printing where a print will separate off of the platform from the extruder or cooling of base support plastic. This results in a lot of wasted time and electricity.

The peachy printer in my mind should have about a 95% print success rate as long as the drip feed is working there is enough resin and nothing disrupting the laser beam or salt water.

So in some ways if there is less errors in printing people can actually save money if the error rate is reduced.
    Only bad part you cannot reuse resin after it has been cured.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dmonkey View Post
    I was thinking about this not too long ago

What do people think of the Peachy Printer's print success rate is ???
    I know with regular Filament based printers occasionally there are hiccups in printing where a print will separate off of the platform from the extruder or cooling of base support plastic. This results in a lot of wasted time and electricity.

The peachy printer in my mind should have about a 95% print success rate as long as the drip feed is working there is enough resin and nothing disrupting the laser beam or salt water.

So in some ways if there is less errors in printing people can actually save money if the error rate is reduced.
    Only bad part you cannot reuse resin after it has been cured.
    I think the trick with peachy is to print a shell and fill it with very cheap catalytic resin...... this brings cost right down, as catalytic resin can be purchased for £10 gbp per litre. I dont think we have enough experience to comment on the print success rate until the beta testers have had a go. But I expect you are correct in suggesting it should be substantially higher than extrusion printers. Presumably, support/distortion issues would be the only reason a print would fail i.e. some aspect of the print twisted or slipped as a result of overhangs etc.

Technologist
    Even just printing a shell and using sunlight to cure the resin inside later will be a big saver - it'll mean that if the print fails you only 'waste' the tiny amount of resin used for the shell.

"Printer failures" that I can think of:

• Adhesion failure - will probably happen just because you started with slightly too much water in the printing container. However, this is not really an issue - it's obvious after the first layer. Unlike FDM printers, you shouldn't get adhesion issues on subsequent layers.
    • Jamming up - there's three moving parts in the Peachy, if you count the water. If the water jams up then you've got a very curious problem. The mirrors themselves are unlikely to be an issue.
    • Software fault - probably the most likely cause. End-users will find all sorts of really horrible things you can do that the software won't handle well at first. Luckily software is easy to fix and/or work around.

"User failures" that I can think of:

• Failed to plug in the audio cable
    • Failed to plug in the power cable
    • Wrong amount of water in the tank at the start
    • Insufficient resin in the tank
    • Printer is moved during printing, causing waves in the tank
    • Incorrect alignment causing distortion
    • Drip speed set wrong

In short, it seems very likely that the vast majority of failures will result in the user going "ah, right. I'm an idiot." Compare this to FDM ones where most failures aren't the user's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Slatye View Post
    "Printer failures" that I can think of:

• Adhesion failure - will probably happen just because you started with slightly too much water in the printing container. However, this is not really an issue - it's obvious after the first layer. Unlike FDM printers, you shouldn't get adhesion issues on subsequent layers.
    • Jamming up - there's three moving parts in the Peachy, if you count the water. If the water jams up then you've got a very curious problem. The mirrors themselves are unlikely to be an issue.
    • Software fault - probably the most likely cause. End-users will find all sorts of really horrible things you can do that the software won't handle well at first. Luckily software is easy to fix and/or work around.

"User failures" that I can think of:

• Failed to plug in the audio cable
    • Failed to plug in the power cable
    • Wrong amount of water in the tank at the start
    • Insufficient resin in the tank
    • Printer is moved during printing, causing waves in the tank
    • Incorrect alignment causing distortion
    • Drip speed set wrong

Stuff like this will be useful for the team.
    If anyone has other user errors they can forsee, list them here.
    I'll add:
    • dust getting on mirrors (or scratched, smudged, wet etc)
    • too much water in the reservoir could cause spilling of resin

Engineer-in-Training
    I think too much water in the top reservoir is going to be a common problem that few users report, from embarrassment.

Can the laser be installed improperly? If so, could it be a likely source of problems.

Too strong lighting in a room gelling the resin? Or a sunny room for the same reason. Maybe UV shields or paint on the outside of the reservoir would help combat this potential problem.

Insufficiently dissolved salt flowing into a bottom mounted hose clogging the drip and slowing the z height mid print, due to smaller droplets. A hose that is mounted above the bottom of the top reservoir, as a gas tank for a car to attempt to keep contaminants out of the carburetor.

That's all I can think of, but users will find more. End users always do.

That topic will grow faster when Beta kit will be shipped!