Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Staff Engineer
    While I agree with the advice above about not "sandblasting" using actual sand, I don't think that it's really a gas that's given off when the particles break. What I've been told happens is that fine particles of unhydrated silica dioxide are released, which migrate deep into the lungs. There, they are attacked by macrophages (white blood cells) which can't handle it and die themselves, causing inflammation and scarring. In severe cases, death can occur within weeks or months. http://silicosis.com/types/index.php

Sand dust settling in your lungs : silicose. Not a nice one, be extra cautious and wear a mask.
    I agree with the above, use proper sandblasting media and use a filtering system, you don't want that :
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/te...conn.html?_r=0

Student
    I get my blasting media from Key Abrasives, I recommend new and experienced people check out their website as it hosts a wealth of information about all the different types of media they sell and its uses.

I use a medium Iron Silicate for heavy work Cast Iron, rusty steel plate etc. and have 3 different grades of glass bead down to 75 microns for polishing aluminium. Its so silky smooth its like nothing I've ever had my hands on, its cool to the touch, softer than silk and feels thinner that water (not to be confused with crushed or recycled glass).

Once I've got my printer running a bit better and gained some experience I'll no doubt be throwing a few items in the cabinet to see what's what.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Yes, as mentioned, dust explosions are a concern. A legitimate one at that for fine improvised powder.

To be realistic though, anything that fine would be probably better done as a liquid grit and rotary sanding apparatus, like polishing grit.

Student
    It sounds to me like maybe you should investigate vibrating or rotary polishers/tumblers. These can be home made very easily especially if you have a 3D printer to hand. You place a finished part in the machine which vibrates and/or tumbles it about in a container full of abrasive chips.

Many different sizes, shapes and grits can be found easily and mostly cheaply.

Again this is coming from my engineering background, I'm totally new to 3D printing. I would use a tumbler on a lathe turned or laser cut part to give it a desired finish and smooth/debur edges - it could be very useful to the 3D print scene - then again, it could be completely useless!

Image from http://www.metalclays.com/p/332/dura...rotary-tumbler

Technologist
    Add 24c on Facebook
    Anybody use a Vixen blast cabinet, the wet types with Honite grit? Use these for removing fine but smooth surface machining marks from CNC components prior to anodising.
    They are very controllable, but you have to wash them afterwards to remove the grit residue, as well as dry them off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123