Close

Technician

spiking and pit holes

can anyone help out with these two probs I am having, printing in ABS Temp 220, bed 110, S3D slicer,
    I feel so close to a decent print yet so far........................................!

I keep getting spiking issues , especially around the support areas of the print?

there are also small holes in the print, could this be shite filamen, i read some where that moisture plays a part?

you will also note my dismal Kapton application effort! (but I was having these same problems before the kapton was applied) at least the part sticks now!

Cheers
    Anthony
    1.jpg2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by anthony27 View Post
    can anyone help out with these two probs I am having, printing in ABS Temp 220, bed 110, S3D slicer,
    Bed is too hot. Lower it to 95 and your walls will neaten up considerably.

I keep getting spiking issues , especially around the support areas of the print?
    Looks like the plastic isn't cooling down enough between layers. Try adding a purge wall. This will move the head away from the print and give it a chance to set.

there are also small holes in the print, could this be shite filamen, i read some where that moisture plays a part?
    Did you calibrate the filament? That's the first step. Then lower the bed temp to 95 degrees. After that you can play around with feeds. Could it be moisture? Easy way to tell: if it crackles when it extrudes then its moisture. However those are very large gaps; too large for moisture in my opinion.

you will also note my dismal Kapton application effort! (but I was having these same problems before the kapton was applied) at least the part sticks now!
    Don't worry. No-one can apply Kapton tape neatly. It won't harm the print either. But using slurry on glass is much simpler and just as effective.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Bed is too hot. Lower it to 95 and your walls will neaten up considerably.

Looks like the plastic isn't cooling down enough between layers. Try adding a purge wall. This will move the head away from the print and give it a chance to set.

Did you calibrate the filament? That's the first step. Then lower the bed temp to 95 degrees. After that you can play around with feeds. Could it be moisture? Easy way to tell: if it crackles when it extrudes then its moisture. However those are very large gaps; too large for moisture in my opinion.

Don't worry. No-one can apply Kapton tape neatly. It won't harm the print either. But using slurry on glass is much simpler and just as effective.
    Thanks Sebastian!, much appreciated,
    I am trying these setting out as I write this, it looks promising!!
    do you know how best to make this slurry? is it dangerous in regards to fumes?
    i have a large bottle of 100% Acetone
    Cheers
    Anthony

Technician
    Hi Sebastian,
    here is the print at 0.2 resolution, it went a whole lot better, check out the images,
    I also slowed the support layer speed on the advice of the team at S3D, this also helped, check out the images below, I have also included the raft and brim as they give clues to the process
    what are your thought?
    20151024_173254.jpg20151024_173334.jpg20151024_173513.jpg20151024_173306.jpg20151024_173317.jpg

Engineer
    What brand of filament are you using?

Technician
    Just the stuff that comes with the printer from FF