Close

Thread: air printing!

Technician

air printing!

A few odd occurrences lately have me pulling hair!,

- Rep G was working better than all the other programs (go figure), but now when it goes to print, it prints in the middle of the air! absolutely no where near the build plate, I cannot seem to fix this, it seems to have amnesia and can't remember where the heated build plate is anymore!

- I try to import some models into RepG and they just don't appear? even tried RepG large models same problem.
    - Even though i deselect the raft check box it still prints raft! wtf

- SLI3ER exact same problem, air printing again!!

Makerbot desktop, used to work perfectly, but now the filament just sticks to the nozzle, the same model was working fine in Replicator G straight before I tried it in makerbot, so the build plate was level,

The weird thing is , I haven't changed any of the settings, so i am at a loss!

I want to get Simplify 3D, but am waiting till next payday!

Any ideas ?? I really want to get printing again tonight!

Changing software won't help. This is clearly eityer a hardware problem (eg. faulty cable or endstop switch) or a firmware setting has been changed. Buying S3D will nit fix this.

Is the first layer of the airprint at exactly the same height every time? If yes then its most likely a setting thats been changed. If no then its most likely mechanical.

Is the bed properly levelled? It should return to this Z position with each bed levelling run. If it does and the heights are only off when running a print then I would say you somehow changed setting in your firmware.

Technician

Hi Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Changing software won't help. This is clearly eityer a hardware problem (eg. faulty cable or endstop switch) or a firmware setting has been changed. Buying S3D will nit fix this.

Is the first layer of the airprint at exactly the same height every time? If yes then its most likely a setting thats been changed. If no then its most likely mechanical.

Is the bed properly levelled? It should return to this Z position with each bed levelling run. If it does and the heights are only off when running a print then I would say you somehow changed setting in your firmware.
    Yep it is at the same spot each time in each software version, i don't think it is mechanical, must be a software issue,
    hmmm is there a way to reset the device, i think there is a restore factory option?

Quote Originally Posted by anthony27 View Post
    Yep it is at the same spot each time in each software version, i don't think it is mechanical, must be a software issue,
    hmmm is there a way to reset the device, i think there is a restore factory option?
    Again, not the software. If it starts at the same (incorrect) level with ReG, Slic3r and Makerware then it is not the software.

Could be you accidentally changed a firmware setting that changed a z value. How much is the first layer from the nozzle? see if you cannot find a corresponding height in the firmware settings. It possible to set a first layer height in most slicers too. Did you perhaps play around with that on all three slicers? Again, check the values.

You can also try asking here. Lots of experts that can probably give you far more insight than me.

Technician
    There is a z offset in onboard preferences that could mess with things. Also, there is a z-hold setting which if it is off, gravity pulls the plate down in between moves because the z motor isn't held on.

You're saying it is extruding plastic, just too fast away, right? When some people say air print they mean nothing is coming out.

Export the gcode of a small model and put it somewhere and paste a link here. Just to eliminate the slicer setting possibility.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    First thing first.

reset the printer's firmware. There' a reset option in the control panel. I'd find it for you - but I don't like to mess with the control panel while the machine's printing.
    Sounds like the printer has got confused and you probably wouldn't have a reset option if it wasn't needed every now and then :-)

If that doesn't work - start doing the complicated stuff.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    First thing first.

reset the printer's firmware. There' a reset option in the control panel. I'd find it for you - but I don't like to mess with the control panel while the machine's printing.
    Sounds like the printer has got confused and you probably wouldn't have a reset option if it wasn't needed every now and then :-)

If that doesn't work - start doing the complicated stuff.
    Hi Guys,

looks like it was a firmware/software issue, reset and now it works!
    purchased simplify 3d as well, having some issues with that but still learning!

Engineer
    Hi Guys,

S3D is pretty awesome. If you got skype shoot me your name, I can help ya with settings and such

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    S3D is pretty awesome. If you got skype shoot me your name, I can help ya with settings and such
    Hi Bassna, sounds good I apprecite it, I do need help!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

you're welcome.
    Most of these guys would have you strip the machine down before looking at the simple things :-)