Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

Ultimate adhesion test

Hi,
    I´ve developed a new and I think innovative adhesion Spray for FDM and FFF printers.
    But my question is, what is in opinion the best and most difficult test, for testing the adhesion ?

Thanks

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Try an eight by eight inch print, one inch tall, in ABS, without a heated chamber. If that doesn't corner lift (aka warp), people will line up for your product.

I was about to suggest that but then without heating the ABS will crack/split. Even the best bed adhesion won't help there.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Ah, but if it has layer separation without corner lift, we know that the bed adhesion was better than the layer adhesion!

Very true. You may proceed.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    and if that works try ANY taulman nylon or alloy product a 4inch square would do for that - same conditions. And if that doesn't warp off the plate (nylon has been known to warp to the extent that it cracks glass plates) - I'll buy your product !

Oh yeah, you must be able to remove the object from the build plate as well. Preferably without damaging either the print or the build plate.

I have had adhesion strong enough to enable me to pick the printer up and shake it by the model.

So getting stuff to stick isn't the really hard part. It's getting stuff to stick AND then being able to remove it fairly easily afterwards :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

Oh yeah, you must be able to remove the object from the build plate as well. Preferably without damaging either the print or the build plate.

I have had adhesion strong enough to enable me to pick the printer up and shake it by the model.

So getting stuff to stick isn't the really hard part. It's getting stuff to stick AND then being able to remove it fairly easily afterwards :-)
    That quote makes BuildTak comes to mind. If your first layer is a little too close you can count on breaking your glass plate trying to get your print off.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Try an eight by eight inch print, one inch tall, in ABS, without a heated chamber. If that doesn't corner lift (aka warp), people will line up for your product.
    Okay, thank you.
    But our first product is for low temp. melting plastics from 180-225°C.
    Tomorrow I´ll make a timelapse video with such a big part with PLA on a Witbox. But it´s allready working.

Another question:
    How should be plan our pricing.
    We plan at the moment with 0,20€ per print with a 300x200mm bulid plate.

I wouldnt start selling it yet... pick 10 folks on here (ill gladly volunteer, as i do a lot of printing every day) and give them a sample of your product to test. You can do a lot of lab testing, but until it gets in the hands of real users you never know what you have. Give it out to 10 folks on here. if it passes with flying colors , offer it to the next 100 at a discounted price (feedback for the discount) and get good and honest feedback from those 100. if that comes back overwhelmingly positive, then move forward with retail sale.
    Ive seen WAY too many products rushed to market before they are ready, or before they have been truly tested. I have a part in mind that will not adhere to ANYTHING i try. I had to make a custom brim 20mm wide just to hold it down and it still wants to curl where the part meets the brim.

Engineer
    What he said above^ I would gladly test it as well, I do a lot of printing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast