Close

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Technician
    hey guys , im back. So I have a new issue. Started priniting finally but now i seem to have an issue , where the print head actually hits the print. It will start out fine and actually get many layers done , but it seems the taller the print the harder it starts to drag across the print. Do i just need to try and fine tune my manual leveling , or is it something else. ill post a link to some pics

Technician
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw3gbaaefx...32632.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13c9k80jfz...32625.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9s51vkv855...32616.jpg?dl=0

so this problem (in my mind seems to get worse the higher i print. on this creeper head it really started hitting hard , and i didnt want to break anything so i stopped. Any suggestions?

Engineer-in-Training
    The first thing that comes to my mind is that the e-steps are a bit off. Those translate how many steps the stepper must take to move an axis by 1mm. The actual value depends on the stepper (most likely 200 steps per revolution), the diameter of the geared pully driving the belt (how many mm the belt moves for 1 full revolution). Are those pulley's factory made or printed? And what for e-step values do you have in the firmware settings for the x, y and z axes (your three towers)?

Alternatively, it can be that you are over-extruding and that the plastic builds up and up and can't get away sideways, especially if you print with 100% infill?

Technician
    the pulleys that are on the motors are aluminum.
    if i check eeprom settings in repetier host it says steps per mm is 80. Im not seeing anything that would be for 3 towers.
    Can i link you my firmware and get some guidance on what im looking for ?
    using repetier 0.92.5

I don't know if there is a mechanical problem. But it does look like the top is getting too hot. Instead of printing 1 of those cube things, try printing 4 or 5 at the same time. That will keep the nozzle from being close to the same piece the whole time. It is very possible that will print OK. If that does happen, the problem you need to fight is not over heating the piece. A couple things you could do would be turn the temperature down a little, but then also tell the Slicer to spend more time per layer. Or maybe add a fan to cool the part.

Technician
    I have a fan, and that happened with two pieces on the print bed. When it first starts printing and and move off one edge to another , every now and then you can hear the nozzle nick it. Or moving across the honeycomb it makes a light washboard sound and get worse the taller the print.

Engineer-in-Training
    Just to make sure the E-steps are OK:

Send the hotend to the middel of your buildplate: G1 X0 Y0 Z0

Then mark the belts. Then move the hotend up by 100.0 mm : G1 X0 Y0 Z100

Measure how far the marks of the belts have traveled with this move with respect to their original position. Digital calipers will help a lot

If the E-steps are correct, all three belts will have moved exactly 100.0 mm

If not, then correct the E-steps. If exactly 100.0 mm, then it is not the E-steps.

Technician
    I thought Esteps was extruder steps.... but yea I'll do that as soon as I get home. I have a digital caliper btw

Quote Originally Posted by Nickschaos81 View Post
    I thought Esteps was extruder steps.... but yea I'll do that as soon as I get home. I have a digital caliper btw
    Esteps are Extruder steps. You are correct.

Alibert meant motor resolution.

In Repetier, these are:
    XAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM, YAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM, & ZAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM. Yours are set to 80 steps/mm. Alibert is right though. You might need to slightly increase these.
    His test is correct. It might also be happening because of loose belts. Make sure your belts are fairly tight. They don't need to strum like a guitar string, but they do need to be just passed taught.

Technician
    OK confirmed! From z0 to z100, I only measure it moving 80mm. So to fix this I afjust.....?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast