Close

New to printing. Problems with files made in Rhino3D

I recently bought a Replicator and have printed a few test pieces and it works well. however when I try to print objects I have drawn myself I get a "Print Error - failed to start print" .... Tried loading different file formats, made sure the object is a Z=0 and everything else I could think of with the same result. Any ideas?!

thanks in advance.

Jens

I tried using the Mac version of Rhino for object creation and had a lot problems with the meshes created. Many of the surfaces were flipped, there were open polygons and boolean operations were prone to have unattached polygons. If you can reveal the triangulations of the polygons look for points that appear on one polygon but don't have matching points on it's neighbor. If you grab the point a move it a bit and it leaves a hole on what should be a solid surface then that is what I was experiencing. You may wish to download and use MeshMixer to evaluate the files exported from Rhino, I eventually gave up and brought the meshes into Cinema 4D for cleanup and rebuilding as necessary. Now it's my primary application for modeling items I intend to print.

Thanks Wkarraker. I tried loading the file into Meshmixer and ran it trough the various repair functions and ended up with the same result....gah...thanks though! Will keep trying.

Technician
    Hi there
    Did you try NetFabb?
    If not do it, its free, and usualy if famous triangle doesn't apper model is OK.

problem solved. It was a firmware problem on the printer being too old. Files where fine