Close

Technician

make your own uv curing resin?

Does anyone know the ingridients for making an uv curing resin?
    I'd buy the ones the printer creators offer, but price with shipping is high and shipping takes very long so if I could at least use my own for testing that would help greatly.

A large part of the reason the resins are expensive is the ingredients are expensive. Resins such as MakerJuice end up costing about the same as ABS filament per volume.

Technician
    Can I please have a list of ingredients?
    I already explained that the price is not the only and/or main issue for me.

Polymer synthesis, or in this case prepolymer synthesis is not usually easy. For starters, you will need at minimum a pre-polymer and a photoinitiator. Acrylate and vinyl esters are commonly used as prepolymers and a large list of photoinitiators is available here.

A good combo is Phenylbis(2,4,6-trimethylbenzoyl)phosphine oxide and 1,6-Hexanediol diacrylate.

That looks promising. The only obvious modifier I would recommend is adding some solvent. How much is required will depend on the base resin you start with and the style of printer. I have a mUVe3D which seems to prefer thinner resin than some of the DLP printers.