Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: simplify3d

Lots if people have mentioned that S3D has poor infill. What exactly is wrong with it?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Lots if people have mentioned that S3D has poor infill. What exactly is wrong with it?
    I think this critique only applies to older versions which only had one infill type (rectilinear).

The newest version has a wide selection of infill types.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah basically versions up to 2 - only put infill down on alternate layers. So you never got a solid internal matrix.
    Version 3 fixed this so you can have infill every layer and added several different patterns.
    This means that you can use less infill but have stronger, lighter parts.

So if you're using the pirated version that's doing the rounds - you're stuck with version 2 and really weak parts :-)

Where can I 'pirate' the latest and greatest version ???

I'm Not Really Bad, I just Act that Way ! LOL

Technician
    Hi Guys,
    so I am now using S3d and wow this is brilliant!! the finish is amazing
    the only problem I am having is that the support is dislodging and going haywire, using ABS any tips?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    use pla ;-)

You can adjust the support. Never used support - but I have seen the 'adjust support' section.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony27 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    so I am now using S3d and wow this is brilliant!! the finish is amazing
    the only problem I am having is that the support is dislodging and going haywire, using ABS any tips?
    Support dislodging is my main complaint with Simplify3d. Set the support gaps to 0 and the first layer height to 75%.

Even then you might want to consider manually placing thin discs under the supports to keep them stuck to the build plate.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    use pla ;-)

You can adjust the support. Never used support - but I have seen the 'adjust support' section.
    forgive me, I have not used PLA much as of yet, so how do you get away without supports on overhands greater than 45 degrees?

the reason i am using ABS in particular, is that the parts need to be able to withstand a very hot environment in this particular test I am conducting

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    Support dislodging is my main complaint with Simplify3d. Set the support gaps to 0 and the first layer height to 75%.

Even then you might want to consider manually placing thin discs under the supports to keep them stuck to the build plate.
    Ok I will try that tonight!
    So are you saying that I should create my own supports in CAD for each project,
    do you have any examples of some good support designs I could see?
    I wonder if filament quality is an issue? I am using the 2 month old ABS that came with the printer,

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony27 View Post
    Ok I will try that tonight!
    So are you saying that I should create my own supports in CAD for each project,
    do you have any examples of some good support designs I could see?
    I wonder if filament quality is an issue? I am using the 2 month old ABS that came with the printer,
    Hey I added you and am on Skype if you want to hop on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast