Close

Best way to Smooth PLA?

What do you guys suggest is the best way to smooth PLA, so that dirt and dust doesn't get stuck in it? I've been thinking that perhaps a clear coat of nail polish might work. Does anyone have any better idea?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Do you mean caught in the relief where layers meet? Have you tried printing with thinner layers?

There's a good post on smoothing PLA using THF below. It's evidently no more dangerous than acetone (used for smoothing ABS), but it is still dangerous (might even cause an explosion if you're really unlucky).

http://www.protoparadigm.com/blog/20...ydrofuran-thf/

Engineer
    Yes I have used tetrahydrofuran, or THF, as a solvent for PLA. You can get it on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Tetrahydrofura...etrahydrofuran

You only need a small amount

You can try THF vapor treatment, or if you’re not used to this method, try hand-polishing your PLA object with THF using a cloth. Either of the two will work well to smoothen your PLA, just be extra careful when using Tetrahydrofuran (THF).

What do you think about ethyl acetate, IP alcohol, or IP acetate?

I would just try what was suggested above - Paint.

Vapours are dangerous...

Also try and lower your layer height as much as possible.
    0.15mm was good and a thin paint layer cleared mine up.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - Another method that will smooth your model out is a product called XTC-3D. It very nice to use, especially if you want to preserve the plastic's natural color.

*Note: This does remove some of the smaller details