Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    I'd love to set up a peachy in my garage over the chassis of a car and have it print the bodywork in-situ. I'm sure for really big stuff it's going to be an issue...

Now that I think of it, I really hope some of the betas do stupid-big prints (with a time lapse video)

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chayat View Post
    I'd love to set up a peachy in my garage over the chassis of a car and have it print the bodywork in-situ. I'm sure for really big stuff it's going to be an issue...

Now that I think of it, I really hope some of the betas do stupid-big prints (with a time lapse video)
    Blimey, I love your ambition, and to be absolutely honest, printing car bodies will probably become routine in the future.

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    In hindsight, I dont want to soak bits of my car in a giant salt-water bath... unless there's a less damaging medium that can be used.
    Also ignoring what I assume would be a stupidly complex issue of giving the software a positive mesh of the chassis for it to print around.

Engineer-in-Training
    This makes me want to add metal to the resin and make my own thow-away air-cooled engines. Throw a rod? Print a new one! Need to port your heads for a new intake? Do some 3d work, print your new head.

I know, I'm dreamin'. But how cool would that be?

You can change the density of water with more than just salt. I bet it would work with cornstarch, which washes off.

@Anuvin

I would love to see that happen and I dont see why not! I am a beta tester and regardless of if you are or not I would love to work with you on something like that. Making extremely tough prints that have metal like qualities.

Bovalis2037@gmail.com

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bovalis2037 View Post
    @Anuvin

I would love to see that happen and I dont see why not! I am a beta tester and regardless of if you are or not I would love to work with you on something like that. Making extremely tough prints that have metal like qualities.

Bovalis2037@gmail.com
    People have already printed working sterling engines......interesting stuff. http://www.3ders.org/articles/201211...ng-engine.html ......... wonder what the melting point of the peachy resin is???
    Last edited by mike_biddell; 02-19-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    To get the mirror angle(theta) for any given x or y coordinate is theta = tan^-1 (x/h-z), where x is the required x coordinate and h is the starting height above the resin and z is the current drip height coordinate. (so that the current height above the resin is h - z). Applying this correction factor in the software for x and y coords, would result in very accurate prints.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12