Close

Engineer

Exclamation Heat bed quit working, and best 40mm fan?

As topic suggests, my heat bed is not working at all. Shows as trying to heat up, but does not. Just hovers around 12-15 degree's. I posted about this in another forum but it was actually a separate topic. I unplugged this from the back of the heat bed (hopefully I can get it back in, was quite hard to get out, can't seem to pull the plug-in from the case). Looks kind of burnt to me right? IMAG2015.jpg I see this replacement cord on FFusa website for $8, but not sure if that is the problem, trying to find out before I order it.

I just ordered a 2nd printer today (CTC 3d pro) for $450 on Ebay new. Looking for the best 40mm fan I should get for it also, if anyone has a recommend fan. Thanks for any replies.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    It is recommended to first direct solder 14-16gauge wire to the heater board and install an inline high current plug. Then instead of wiring the positive to the main board, connect it to an unused (+) tap directly on the power supply. The negative will still go to the main board to get the signal that turns the heater on and off.

Technician
    Yes. And the reason for this is that those connectors are close to their current rating on two pins and the rating is for one pin at lower temps. They've actually got a fire risk there and don't forget the plastics we print with are pretty flammable and energy dense. Wiring the positive straight to the power supply takes some current off of the mother board.

Unfortunately soldering better wire on to the heatbed is a PITA because the pads are relatively small and close together for heavier guage wire.

Engineer
    Yeah sorry I am somewhat of a noob at wiring, soldering, and motherboards still. I am trying to learn as I go because I want to be able to repair my stuff myself. If anyone has the patience to explain a bit more of it to me, I'd love to figure it out :P but I know that can be annoying trying to explain stuff like that to someone who doesn't know. I'm currently at work right now, I will try to plug that cord back in and wiggle it to see if it will heat, but I wiggled it a bit before I unplugged it with no success.

Technician
    You probably should take the bottom panel off and examine the other end of that cable. It may be charged as well. Same problem: too much current in too little space.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by warkmal View Post
    You probably should take the bottom panel off and examine the other end of that cable. It may be charged as well. Same problem: too much current in too little space.
    I did look where it connected to the board, but it did not look bad at first glance. I will check again later today.

I received an e-mail back from Tang at Flashforge today. He said that it does look pretty burnt (and mentioned the other side might be as well) but said since the connector was soldered to that bed plate, I need to order another bed plate set up. He told me to send him $60 and he will mail me one out (which look's to be about half the price it was on the website). Think this is my best option?