Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Readybox... Is it The Fastest Consumer 3D printer Available?

University of Maryland student Brett Potter designed what he calls the fastest 3D printer in the world. The Readybox has a brand new extruder that Potter designed with a 0.6mm nozzle to extrude filament faster, which reduces clogs and jams and helps speed up the printing process. The maximum printing speed for the Readybox is about 400mm a second with a 0.05mm layer thickness. The printer will work with PLA and ABS and includes a heated Ultem printing bed. The printer will be launched on Kickstarter on October 10th. You can read more about the Readybox and its creator over on 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/98176/readybox-consumer-3d-printer/

Those speed claims are as annoying as they are irrealistic.

What is being called the fastest consumer 3D printer on the market, the Readybox has now been launched as a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter. The printer breezed by it’s funding goal in only 24 hours and is hoping that momentum will continue. Readybox carries a retail price of $3,499, although Potter is offering a great early bird Kickstarter price of $2,799, and there are currently about 40 left at that price. You can find out more about this campaign over on 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/100377/readybox-3...r-kickstarter/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the short answer is: no.
    The ira poet is faster. But has the silliest name :-)

Both have that crosspiece and bowden extruder.
    And look very very similiar...
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-13-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    So what sets this and the Ira Poetry apart from the Ultinmaker? Seems like the same linear system and layout.

II thought print speed was ultimately defined by the thermo limitations of the plastic itself and not the extruder or gantry?

High speed are incredibly hard on the printers, especially since these are not particularly rugged. Parts will wear and break much quicker at these speeds. I'd rather have a finely -tuned machined that will last two plus years.

I'd prefer seeing advancements in materials, bed adhesion, slicing, etc. And a huge reduction in costs

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it is interesting that they can print this fast.

I think sebastians probably right - even though there wasn't any real noticeable vibration in the poet when we saw one working.
    There has to be more wear and tear involved.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    it is interesting that they can print this fast.

I think sebastians probably right - even though there wasn't any real noticeable vibration in the poet when we saw one working.
    There has to be more wear and tear involved.
    curious.. when you played with the poet what would you say the realistic printing speeds are? 200mm/s 300 mm/s?
    If you were in the market for a printer would you consider it? I cant help but be interested. Just wondering your overall thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post
    curious.. when you played with the poet what would you say the realistic printing speeds are? 200mm/s 300 mm/s?
    To be honest I'd be amazed if it could ever reach that speed, if one takes acceleration/deceleration into account...

aardvark said he saw it running, and printing well at those speeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast