Close

FolgerTech Prusa i3-almost printing

So, I know that I've most definitely done something wrong with the wiring of my heat bed(Quite frankly I'm surprised that my heat bed is the only thing that isn't working) Its a PCB Heatbed MK2B Dual Power, and as far as wiring it goes i have no idea what I'm doing. The attachment being an example of my handywork, if someone could let me know what I did incorrect that'd be great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Assuming you're using a 12v power supply you have it wired correctly. However, you have a pretty big issue with how it's connected. You can't simply wrap the wire through the hole like that. As a matter of fact, it's semi dangerous (resistance fire).

I would recommend you get yourself some 16awg wire and solder it into place. Don't split the wire that goes to the two terminals either. Just solder the whole wire at two different segments onto the two pads.

Ok, thanks man, nice to know i at least got the wiring correct-pretty sure the majority of my 3d printer is a fire hazard lol

I'm attempting prints, but it seems my extruder is having some trouble extruding, the nozzle heats up properly and i can push filament through, and if i take off the nozzle i can extrude unaltered plastic with the extruder(not pushing it like the actual extruder does it) but when i begin a print, or even try to extrude plastic through manual control, all I get is a little whinny noise and a very small amount of plastic bleeding through the nozzle of the extruder, but not at a fast enough pace to print and it then abruptly stops after extruding less than an inch. ??????????????????????

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    worlds longest run on sentence lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hideous Elf View Post
    I'm attempting prints, but it seems my extruder is having some trouble extruding, the nozzle heats up properly and i can push filament through, and if i take off the nozzle i can extrude unaltered plastic with the extruder(not pushing it like the actual extruder does it) but when i begin a print, or even try to extrude plastic through manual control, all I get is a little whinny noise and a very small amount of plastic bleeding through the nozzle of the extruder, but not at a fast enough pace to print and it then abruptly stops after extruding less than an inch. ??????????????????????
    Are you using Marlin firmware?

Do you know how to check motor driver voltages? http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/0...f_checking.jpg

Are you familiar with the Configuration.h file?

Marlin firmware-yes, and yes I know how to check the motor drive voltages(I broke my back setting them), as for the "configuration.h file" not exactly sure.....not saying I don't know what it is but a little more info would be helpful.

Not sure if it's important info but all the other stepper motors know exactly what they're supposed to do and i have no trouble with any of them.

Well, if the voltages are the same and the other steppers are working then your driver voltages are probably okay.

In the same folder as your Arduino compile image there is a configuration.h file. Open it with WordPad and check it out. It's pretty much all of the configuration parameters for your printer and gets sent when you upload your firmware. Be careful when poking around in there if you have any intentions of saving. You should make a backup of the original copy if you start making changes as well.

Some common errors in that configuration.h file that may be responsible for your issues:
    Incorrect Extruder Steps/mm (50-650 is typical range).
    Incorrect Extruder Acceleration (1000-4000 mm/s^2 typical range)

A lot of people get scared when they start messing with Firmware settings. The truth is, you better get comfortable with them if you own a RepRap. As soon as you choose to move away from Marlin or want to upgrade/install a z-probe you'll need to become very familiar with these settings. And...aside from a simple setup or hardware problem....your issue is likely in that configuration.h file. Keep testing and keep asking questions!

Ok, thanks for the tip,