Close

Immediate gcode commands

My older printer, a Printrbot, came with Repetier as the recommended software. Repetier, though far from perfect, has the lovely property that it has a box where you can type a line of gcode, and it is sent to the printer and executed right now. It's useful for setting certain firmware parameters, especially the Z=0 height. It's also useful for trying out gcode to understand it in detail.

Now if I understand right, Repetier can't be used with FlashForge because it speaks the wrong protocol. But I'd love to have this "quick tryout" ability back. Is there any program compatible with FlashForge that can send my direct, immediate gcode commands?

Technician
    You can do this with OctoPrint's terminal window using my plugin (OctoPrint-GPX). You can also use the s3g python library to send x3g commands at the python command line. But like I say in the other thread, the printer doesn't understand gcode so to do gcode "right now" something has to translate the gcode into x3g before sending it to the printer.

Thanks for contributing that! Great! I'll give it a try.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    simplify 3d also lets you send gcode directly to the printer. Translates it on the fly.