Close

Selective speed for small layers?

Hi, Very new to 3d printing, and I'm noticing that it is very difficult to, for example, print something that rises to a point because as the top layers are so small/fast to print, the extruded plastic doesn't have time to set before the next layer starts (leading to the previous layer being deformed/dragged along by the nozzle).

I've seen suggestions for solving this by printing several parts at once or adding a sacrificial tower, both with the goal of allowing more time before returning to the same point, or alternatively just decreasing the print speed (which not only makes every layer slower, but is also possibly not effective at the very tip of a spire.

My question is, wouldn't it be / isn't it trivial for slicing software to estimate the time taken to print each layer, and selectively introduce delays between layers when there would be a situation where the next layer was being printed on top of freshly laid plastic? So for example if you were printing a pyramid, at the bottom it could go very fast with no delay between layers, but at the very tip it could slow down and/or delay between layers?

This seems so obvious that I don't know why slicers don't just do it automatically. Am I missing something?

Senior Engineer
    Cura will go off model and park for a time you set. That does of course give the added problem,of ooze if the settings are not correct. Swings and roundabouts.

Engineer-in-Training
    Simplify 3D does this automatically, and you can tune how aggressive it is.