Close

How to print a 3D selfie?

Does anyone has a good tutorial for this?, from the beginning, how to take the pictures, how to convert it to 3d and print it.

The biggest question I have is:
    1,. How to print in colors, or does people actually paint it after its printed?
    http://oomediahaiti.com/business/ind...g-store-in-l-a

If Its easier to paint the colors than print them, which is the best material and the best kind of painting??

Thanks

Staff Engineer
    The easiest way to do it is to use a 3D scanner, like the Sense. That will capture the form and colors, and solidify them into something that will print. Then you send it to a color-capable 3D printer, and it does the rest. If you don't have one, you can send it to Shapeways, Sculpteo, or any service bureau with an appropriate machine. (Shapeways calls the material "sandstone", but it's not).

If you don't want to spend any money, then try an app called 123D Catch, from Autodesk. With a lot of photos taken from many angles, it can approximate the results of a scanner. If you've got a printer that only prints in one color, then sure, paint it if you want, or leave it monochrome.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

As I live in Colombia, shapeways or sculpteo would be too expensive with shipping costs, and btw, I wanna learn to do it my self.,
    Lets suppose I will paint it, whats the best material to be able to paint on it?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Geoff Does very very impressive sculpture work, you can find his work on thingiverse under Geoffro, and he posts here. He would (probably) know best about finishing the print.

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    The best way to do that is to have your selfie pic 3d scanned first. convert it to an editable 3d model file and have it 3d printed.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by levalencia View Post
    Does anyone has a good tutorial for this?, from the beginning, how to take the pictures, how to convert it to 3d and print it.

The biggest question I have is:
    1,. How to print in colors, or does people actually paint it after its printed?
    http://oomediahaiti.com/business/ind...g-store-in-l-a

If Its easier to paint the colors than print them, which is the best material and the best kind of painting??

Thanks
    You would need some kind of scanner or you can use 123d catch.
    You have to scan the object and out put the file with texture map in order for you to print in full color.

A selfie is a type of self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a hand-held digital camera or camera phone. You can use 3D scanners and there are variety of scanners available in the market. In the end, it all comes down to the desired material. If the material of choice is a simple one or one that can be handled by FDM desktop printers, then the choice is obviously huge. However, for 3D selfies, the material of choice is a gypsum-based composite powder, printed with binder jetting technology. You can visit https://www.futuremarketinsights.com...rinting-market, it helped me understand more about 3D printing, it might help you.