Close

Layers not bonding (ABS)

I've been printing loads of various test pieces experimenting with different custom settings to find the best setup.

I'm fairly happy with things so far using grey ABS and white ABS.
    Whatever I try with Yellow ABS, the layers will not bond. The print LOOKS fine, but has no strength and every layer delaminates with very little force.
    I've tried a whole range of temeperatures speeds and layer heights but cannot get the layer to bond.

The filament came from the same place as the Grey and white which work fine. I got them from the supplier of the printer (Technology Outlet) he said he gets them from Holland not from Flashforge.

Any ideas? I've also tried drying it out in the oven at about 60deg for half hour. Made no difference. But as I understand it, ABS does not absorb moisture to any significant extent anyway.

Engineer
    Increase the temp by 10 deg and see if that makes a difference. The colorants used in plastics will give tue abs slightly different properties. It not uncommon for certain colors to need 10 sometimes 20 deg more than another. If that doesnt work increase your extrusion width for that color a little. If that foesnt work then throw the spool in yhe trash. Some plastics just dont layer bond well. I have had a spool or 2 of abs over the past year that just wouldnt layer bond. It was faulty or just a poor grade abs thats not meant for 3d printing.

Technician
    Add ZorAxe on Thingiverse
    Did increasing the temperature fix your problem? I seem to be having the exact same problem!

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Hi! You can view these troubleshooting guide when printing ABS. Hope this helps!

I had this problem with a few filaments I bought from random sites. It was driving me crazy because everything was perfect then I would switch filaments and everything starting going to crap. I thought it was a printer setting or heat settings but eventually found out through a lot of headaches that it was just crappy filament because I was buying the cheapest stuff I could find on amazon. A designer friend told me about 3dxtech http://www.3dxtech.com/ and all of the filament I bought from there was fantastic and my problems mostly went away. I have also had good luck with https://www.matterhackers.com/store they had a few filaments that the other one didn't have. But ya getting quality stuff will keep you from wanting to put your fist through the wall.

Hope that helps I am sorry you are having problems. But if one abs filament works without a problem and another just wont work it's time to look at the filament as the problem

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    We would also expect this to be a temperature issue, increasing your temperature slightly should improve things. One would expect that the ABS used is of the same grade as the grey and white so it should not be a filament quality issue per se. But as jimc points out different colours can have slightly different physical properties.

The Esun black and white ABS I use bonds perfectly, even with large prints (210x 140). Of the local ABS I have the red and orange work fine, the green doesn't. As already mentioned the colouring additives are usually to blame, if not that then its a poor quality batch to start off with. The remedy? Try a different brand.