Close

Fusor FullMetal CatNozzle

I am about to start a course in assembling a 3dPrinter, the end result is a prusa i3.

I found that the nozzle is this one: Fusor FullMetal CatNozzle

and that it can print many materials:
    http://screencast.com/t/Dv0F2lwMZX

The question is, what materials are not in that list, what cant I print?

I can't see your link, but basically :
    - if your hot end contains PTFE tubing, then you are limited to 245°C (roughly) -> look at the materials data from the manufacturer and you'll see you're good to go for PLA, ABS, perhaps PP, flex filaments, now some new prototype nylons are anounced in that range too.
    - if your hot end is full metal with active cooling, you are limited to 300°C (roughly, and you might need to tweak the firmware to remove some limitations) -> you should be good to go for nylons and PET.
    - if your hot end has a thermistor, you can go over 300°C (though at that point you should check your board too !) -> you can print PEEK and other high temp stuff.

Be careful though : what this means is that the plastic will come out of the nozzle. To PRINT, you might need other things like for instance : a heated bed, an enclosure, ...

OK if I understood well, the temp the hot end can handle is what defines the materials I can print on right? I thought it had to do with the extrussor, nozzle or the printer itself.

And with that in mind I only need to check the specs of the material to see if its compatible right?

Quote Originally Posted by levalencia View Post
    OK if I understood well, the temp the hot end can handle is what defines the materials I can print on right? I thought it had to do with the extrussor, nozzle or the printer itself.

And with that in mind I only need to check the specs of the material to see if its compatible right?
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Be careful though : what this means is that the plastic will come out of the nozzle. To PRINT, you might need other things like for instance : a heated bed, an enclosure, ...
    No. As detailed aboce, the hot end is part of it but not all.

Bowden setups have the reputation, it seems, to make flex filaments more difficult to print than direct extruders.

Materials with a high shrink factor (ABS = 7%), need a good control of temperature which entail at least a heated bed and possibly an enclosure.

For adhesion a heat bed is recommended in general.

Nozzles made of brass will wear quickly with carbon filled filaments of metal filled filaments. Steel nozzles are more durable.

In general, read the retailers' printing advice, that's a good place to start.