Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Printing speed variation through time in Filament Fusion Fabrication 3D printing

I recently decided to upgrade my software for my Flashforge 3D printer from Makerware to some open source program that is being updated.

After a thorough search I didn't find any programs that offer variable speed settings throughout the print.

So I started wondering, how difficult is it to write a program that will slice the model onto variable height slices and vary the print speed as the printer prints near the table, in the middle of the part or up high.
    GUI for this feature may look something like a color and transparency slider used for the gradient coloring in Adobe products.

This can solve a lot of curling, warping and peeling issues and reduce the wear and tear on the machine.

If one is printing an arch that is supported by two columns, the columns are vertical and can have lower resolution than the arch in some cases.
    I am not a computer programmer and I dont have time for such large projects. I wish I could do it.

--Vladimir

I seem to remember reading about some software that could so something similar
    but did not try it since it was not compatible with firmware in our printer.

I can not remember it's name but I will try to find it again.

It's a Great idea !

It doesn't have to be compatible. It needs to generate G code and M code that will work with any printer. Perhaps I should talk to Slicr folks.

I have many ideas on how to improve the FFF 3D printer.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    simplify 3d lets you do that :-)

It also automatically adjusts print speed according to what's being printed anyway.

But you can set different resolutions/speeds/infill etc for any part of the print.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-23-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Yes, I just found that Simplify3D is the one I was thinking about that has Variable-speed.

I tried a borrowed copy of if it but found that S3D would not send setting changes to our CTC printer.
    Only sent default settings.
    Example: nozzle temp always stayed at 230 C, could not change it
    So, I assumed it was not compatible with firmware and gave-up trying.

I don't know if bootlegging has anything to do with updating of the firmware. I may get a bootlegged one if I want to play with it.

I don't like open-source software because it is usually very user unfriendly. But my idea probably should be handed to some open-source enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
    It doesn't have to be compatible. It needs to generate G code and M code that will work with any printer. Perhaps I should talk to Slicr folks.

I have many ideas on how to improve the FFF 3D printer.
    ??? If you want Host/Slicer software, then it Must to be Compatible with Firmware to be able to send files to printer.
    It won't print if it is Not.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you do need to tweak the start up gcode for most flashforge type machines.
    No reason it shouldn't work on a ctc.

Maybe it's the bootleg code that's causing problems ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Maybe it's the bootleg code that's causing problems ;-)
    Yes, that's very Possible, but I'm certainly Not going to pay $150. just to Find-out !
    Since we really don't have a need for fancy software like that,
    but would be Nice to have.

Engineer
    +1 for Simplify3D. Bought it last Christmas, and have not used another slicer since then once. Saved me SO much time and money just by less failed prints, way faster slicing time's for changing simple settings, etc.

I'm looking to buy a CTC here very soon, how's the printer run? For $450 usd on E-bay new, it seem's great . I currently have the flashforge creator pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast